Thanks

Arrow Waterloo Lake Overflow & Roundhay Tunnels, Leeds - October 2010.

Waterloo Lake Overflow & Roundhay Tunnels - Visited By Ojay & Woodburner.co.uk

This one had been pushed down the list for sometime now, so whilst in the area (sort of) decided to drag WB along for a mooch.

Built in the 1800's by Napoleonic Soldiers, this man-made lake dominates Roundhay Park, Leeds.

Originally this area was heavily mined for Coal, Iron & Clay dating back to the 12th Century, now Waterloo lake (12-15ha) occupies this age old land.

The lake is fed by the Wyke Beck from the North, with a more modern overflow system being constructed in recent times, replacing the old waterfall and drainage system.

The new levelling system carries water down a slide,

into a 30ft deep man-made culvert

and out through this concrete box of tricks which runs South through nearby Woodland and on towards the River Aire.

Bit of a stoop towards the end eh WB

To the left the Stone Arch presents another system, the Outfall from the original overflow.

Once inside, quickly gives way to a brick tunnel which leads underneath the Park towards where was once situated the Old 'Lido' (outdoor baths).

Continuing for around 100 yards, the tunnel comes to an abrupt end.

On the left you can see the bricked up remains of the original overflow

ahead, the stone wall where the old waterfall was once located.

On the left a 200yd (approx) RCP runs it's course towards Waterloo lake.

WB sadly couldn't make it up due to wellie fail, by this point I was so distracted by my shiteye that I just thought fuck it and trudged through!

After slippin' & Slidin' the entire length of the RCP it eventualy turned a final corner,

and again came to an abrupt end? Although water still runs through here from the lake

All-in-all we had a good old nite of draining, apart from the 'eye' incident earlier. I managed 2 hours of sleep before dragging my arse off to Hospital to finally get checked out..

(Mandem)

Shouts to Woodburner

Thanks

Default Re: Waterloo Lake Overflow & Roundhay Tunnels, Leeds - October 2010.

where was my invite? lol

a great place mate, been on my list a while also lol
    My Blog
    Night Stalker

"We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started... and know the place for the first time."
    T. S. Eliot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nij View Post
    where was my invite? lol

a great place mate, been on my list a while also lol
    You said you was away, or I would have give you a Holla. Talking of invites, give me a bell tomorrow if your free (nite)

Thanks

I've been thinking of this one.

Lovely pics as usual mate, just fantastic.
    Under the radar, over the top

Thanks

Me too - very nice pictures there as well. When they drained waterloo lake in the mid 1980's, there was rumour of a lot of world war one weapons that had been dumped in there. A policeman was dispatched to keep guard over the lake to ensure no one waded across the mud to look for the rusting metal. I don't know whether they ever found them.

Brrrrap'ford brap brap brap brap brap brap brap
    Thanks

like it, might drag myself back there at night. like those mini fluoros!

flickr my bean

Thanks

Was wondering how you lit that place up, mini fluoros eh! I love anything that has "mini" in front of it cos I always imagine it with "massive" instead, like instead of a "mini chicken kiev" Id prefer a "massive chicken kiev". Lovely stuff Ojay as always!

"How come the compression is so bad on all those shots man? It looks like they've been edited with a Commodore 64." JST

Thanks

Em_Jay tell me when your going and ill tag along.
    Mini Fluros are amazing (WB started the craze lol)
    My Blog
    Night Stalker

"We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started... and know the place for the first time."
    T. S. Eliot

Brrrrap'ford brap brap brap brap brap brap brap
    Thanks

Easier to carry that uber fluros haha

flickr my bean

Thanks

Great stuff mate
    "God will forgive them. He'll forgive them, and allow them into heaven. I can't live with that."