Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Arrow Loch Sloy Water Treatment Works - Britain's most remote explore? Nov 2010

Bought a new 60D and decided to out for a walk to Loch Sloy, a place I've wanted to visit for a while now, in order to play with the new camera. Approaching the dam I spotted the treatment building and went over to have a look and on closer inspection the building was revealed to be empty, good stuff! The hydro scheme itself began operating in October 1950 and the treatment works opening sometime in the 60's (there was a stone laid noting it's opening but I forget the details...) By the looks of things it closed in the late 90's or at the beginning of the millenium. The dam itself is still used in conjunction with the still operational power station which sits on Loch Lomond.

Forgot the tripod so all shot handheld

The works are the small clump of buildings at the top of the picture

Entry

The elements have taken their toll

Stairs

A burst pipe has flooded the downstairs and basement areas

Control Panel goodness

pH Meter

A lonely place to work

Tank

Control Panel detail

The Dam Not abandoned but interesting enough in it's own right.

Adit, would have liked to have been able to squeeze through the bars

Into the dam structure, light switch was within reach from the gate

Arch, downstream

Same arch, upstream

The Dam

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pyroninja For This Useful Post:

Neosea (26-11-2010)

Brrrrap'ford brap brap brap brap brap brap brap
    Thanks

Default Re: Loch Sloy Water Treatment Works - Britain's most remote explore? Nov 2010

That's pretty 'dam' sexy. Puns aside, really like it mate, quality work

flickr my bean

Thanks

Default Re: Loch Sloy Water Treatment Works - Britain's most remote explore? Nov 2010

Myself and CCM were at a Dam earlier and were thinking about possible entrances - great places to explore and love your pics.
    My Blog
    Night Stalker

"We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started... and know the place for the first time."
    T. S. Eliot

Thanks

Nice pics mate
    "God will forgive them. He'll forgive them, and allow them into heaven. I can't live with that."

Thanks

Cheers guys!

Aie Nij dams are pretty awesome things, seen a few reports showing their insides and they look brilliant. Found access to the inside of another dam but it involves crawling under a grate next to a massive outlet pipe which I just don't think is a very good idea haha.

Thanks

Wow - that first shot is amazing! Fab explore.

wolfism Guest

Liking the dam shots Pyro, the autumn colours set the concrete off nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyroninja View Post
    Found access to the inside of another dam but it involves crawling under a grate next to a massive outlet pipe which I just don't think is a very good idea haha.
    Most of the big dams have a tunnel/ gallery running through their core so the engineers can monitor the concrete while it's curing (the core takes a few years to cure then cool down); and also to check for leaks, cracks and so on. Happily, the Hydro guys occasionally forget to padlock the access gate - its always worth climbing access ladders just to check. ;-)

Thanks

Great stuff, love the control panels and the shot looking down the dam into the valley is a cracker
    Was up there on Ben Vane last year and there were to be plenty of workmen around and at the power station.

Thanks

sod gettin in get a rope some srt gear and run down the face.....head facing down hill to get the bajeebers lol.....just need somewhere to link on......

Thanks

nice one pyro
    My Flickr

The treasure we take is captured in images not bags

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast