Thanks

Arrow Pool Park Hospital, Ruthin - Jan 2011

The origin of Pool Park is not known absolutely, but it was one of the five deer parks associated with Ruthin Castle, the estate being considerably older than the house.
    Pool Park was part of the Bachymbyd and Rhug estate, acquired in the 16th Century by the Salesbury family. The estate was divided into two by William Salesbury, and Pool Park was left to his younger son, Charles. The estate then passed into the hands of the Bagot family in 1670 when Charles only surviving daughter married Sir Walter Bagot.
    In 1826-9, Pool Park was re-built for William, 2nd Lord Bagot, in a half-timbered, mock-Tudor design.
    The balustrades either side of the front entrance are from the Bachymbyd old house, and the fine oak staircase came from an old house in Clocaenog, said to be a former Bishops residence.
    During the 19th Century, the house had several tenants, while remaining in the hands of the Bagot family. However, in 1928 Pool Park was alledgedly lost by the Bagot family on a bet at the races. The land was divided into lots and was mainly sold to a Llanrwst timber merchant who felled many of the trees, including the avenues. The house remained unsold and was leased to Sir Henry Tate as a retreat from his Liverpool sugar enterprises.
    In 1934, the District Health Authority bought Pool Park as a convalescent home which housed 80 male patients in 1937 and up to 120 during the war. A POW camp was also established in the grounds.
    In 1949, Pool Park became a mental health hospital and also accepted women. The gardens at this time were worked by the patients as a form of occupational therapy. The hospital sewage treatment was sited on the slope below the house, close to the stream (which we saw, but did not photograph...grrr!)
    The patients left Pool Park in 1989. The house was sold in 1992, but has remained empty ever since. The landscape is overgrown and the house falling into ruin. Pool Park is a listed 2* building in a grade 2 listed landscape and is in urgent need of repair!

Visited with evilnoodle and Judderman62.........

Thanks for looking
    Sorry if you're sick of the sight of it.

Thanks

Default Re: Pool Park Hospital, Ruthin - Jan 2011

And my pics...

And I forgot me fookin tripod, so some pics are with flash and some are higher ISO than I would have liked....but what the hell.....I been there and I see'd it

And evidence of a fairly extensive fire and subsequent repair work, in the roof trusses. I can't find any info on this on t'internet

judderman62 Guest

Default Re: Pool Park Hospital, Ruthin - Jan 2011

OK here are my pics - not much scope to be original sadly with these two having posted up before
    me and everyone and their cat having been recently, but here's my take anyway

Normal door, big door

Very nifty bit of design this - note the recess so when the door is fully opened the handle
    fits into this recess and the door is flush. Well spotted Noodle - I would probably have
    missed this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to judderman62 For This Useful Post:

boxfrenzy (05-01-2011)