Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Post The ROC Teletalk Operating Instructions

ROYAL OBSERVER CORPS – POSTS

THE LOUNDSPEAKER TELEPHONE

DESCRIPTION

1. The Loudspeaker Telephone (LST) is line powered and therefore requires no internal batteries.

2. The instrument appears in the form of a lidded box and is automatically connected to line when the lid is open and disconnected when the lid is closed.

FEATURES

3. The main features of the LST are:

a. ON/OFF lamp indication.

b. Call Button.

c. Transmit Button

d. Volume Control

e. Microphone

f. Loudspeaker

OPERATION

4. General:

a. The ON/OFF lamp will flash at regular intervals when the line is connected.

b. To call the Control, press the call button for at least 5 seconds and then release.

c. To speak to the Control, press the Transmit button and release to listen.

d. The volume control adjusts only the volume of loudspeaker reception.

e. The operator is to speak into the microphone (co-located with the loudspeaker) at no closer than 9 inches.

5. On manning up:

a. Remove cover from BT junction box and ensure that link plug is in the right-hand position. If not, the plug is to be removed and inserted in this position.

b. Switch on the LST by opening the lid.

c. Call the Control:
    (1) Press the call button for at least 5 seconds and then release (repeat if necessary).

(2) When the Control replaies by saying the Group name and the word Control, adjust the volume to a comfortable level of reception.
    d. Make the report:
    (1) Depress the transmit button. Speak only when this button is fully depressed.

(2) Speak into the microphone in a normal voice with the mouth no closer than 9 inches from the microphone.

(3) Say the Group name and Post number, followed by the words POST, OVER.

(4) Release the transmit button and listen for the Post Display Plotter to repeat the call.

(5) Make the report.
    e. Receive acknowledgement:
    (1) Release the transmit button at the end of the report.

(2) Listen for the Post Display Plotter’s acknowledgement and/or other instructions.
    NOTE 1 A long as the transmit button is depressed it is not possible to RECEIVE speech: ALWAYS release the transmit button at the end of a Post call, at the intermediate points of reports indicated in Part F and at the end of a report to allow responses and the interjection of priority calls from other Posts.

NOTE 2 In any case release the transmit button for the count of five at the end of a complete reporting sequence if there is more to report; the Post Display Plotter will break in if necessary during these pauses, to instruct a Post to WAIT OUT or instruct another to REPORT or to ask for a repeat.

6. At “Stand To” and thereafter:

a. Man the LST continuously and maintain an open line with the Post Display Plotter.

b. If, exceptionally, it is necessary to leave the LST unattended, for however short a time, inform the Post Display Plotter accordingly.

c. Turn up the volume if the Post has to be left unoccupied (it is not possible to receive a ring from the Control).
    MAINTENANCE

7. No maintenance on the LST is permitted by Post personnel. All faults are to be reported to the Control or to the Group HQ.

EXCERSICES AND TRAINING

8. At the end of operations or training meeting which involve the use of the LST, SWITCH OFF by ensuring the lid is securely closed.

REMOTE TEST LINKS

9. The facility exists for the line to and from each Post to be tested by BT engineers without the need to man at the Post. To permit this it is necessary for a link plug or plugs to be moved in the grey Case 200, mounted on the wall behind the and above the LST.

10. The right hand of the two covers must first be levered off using a pencil. This will reveal one of two types of testing units.

11. The most common of the testing units in use is the DGM 1. When the LST is in use the plug should be in the NORMAL position. When the post is unmanned, or at the end of a training meeting or operation, the plug is to be placed in the middle two sockets. When being manned up the plug should be returned to the NOTMAL position.

12. The alternative testing unit installed in some Posts is the DGM 2. When the LST is in use the two (ore sometimes one) plug(s) should be over the TRANS and REC sockets (at the far left hand side. At the end of operations, exercises or meetings the plug(s) should be moved along to the right by one socket. Leaving one gap at the far left hand side and four gaps to the right hand side.

Thanks

Default Re: The ROC Teletalk Operating Instructions

Quote Originally Posted by Trousercowboy View Post
    And why didn't they just have a normal phone?
    with the LST you could hear everything that was being said on that line, IE reports from all the other posts in the group being read so you have an idea of what was going on, IE the bigger picture.

thats how I see it anyway!
    Thank You to Flickr for Hosting my Images

Trying to Stay off the Tourist Trail.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TripleSix For This Useful Post:

Trousercowboy (09-01-2011)

Thanks

They could have done with an Amstrad...

I fancy a pair of field telephones too Nat...

Thanks

They could have used a laptop or something?

Thanks

ive got both versions of the teletalks, the 80's one is a lot more modern and doesnt have to use batteries. i still find it unusual how its brightly coloured like a kids toy but could hack your fingers off if the lid closed too fast
    Saviour of the sporran

Thanks

My apologies for dragging this old topic up.. but does anyone remember a video showing the operation of the training rig?

If I remember right, it was all built into a big wooden cabinet with doors and had all the ROC telecoms devices wired up.

I've Googled for a bit but can't seem to find it.
    My Flickr stream

Thanks

I might be a cock but I am still better than god.
    www.nibunker.co.uk - Northern Irelands Only Restored ROC Post.

Thanks

Al that is absolutly fantastic - is it your own?

Thanks

Thats exactly the video I had in mind, it's excellent.. please keep it preserved in that condition !
    My Flickr stream

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krypton View Post
    Al that is absolutly fantastic - is it your own?
    Yep, got it a few years ago, it lives at my local aviation museum as its too big to keep at home.
    I might be a cock but I am still better than god.
    www.nibunker.co.uk - Northern Irelands Only Restored ROC Post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast