Brrrrap'ford brap brap brap brap brap brap brap
    Thanks

Default Macro Drain - complete run through - Bradford - Jan 2011

It still knocks me for six does this place, it just goes on and on and on!!! No wonder Bradford was dubbed 'Draining Capitol of the North'! I love it

Good times with Mr Clough, Mr Fowle and Mr Geovdub, nice to meet you mate and take you on a tour of one of my most favourite places

Just to give you an idea of the how big the whole system is, here's a simple map I threw together. Macro even runs off the top of the map!!

Anyways, less jibber, more pics!...

MACRO / BRADFORD BECK

I've included some old pics so I can give a full run through of the beck / Macro from top to bottom. Starting from the infall....

One of the many CSO chambers

This is where Bypass (the flood alleviation scheme) starts. The Beck runs into the dark area on the left, but Bypass (the lighter section) intercepts the majority of the water.

Looking back from the other side of the flood alleviation scheme

Carrying on towards the City Centre

Those famous arches / Cathedral Chamber! People say that this section is under the Town Hall, but this is questionable. Historic maps show the route of the Beck running to the north of the building. And I spotted a chink of day light coming from a manhole that I've never seen before, even though that was my fourth time there!!

Some real oldies shot on film as you move through, and away from the City Centre

The Beck now runs parallel with Canal Road as it moves north towards the River Aire

One of the off shoots led to this sump chamber where myself and clough spent some time trying not to fall in!
    There was a leap of faith involved getting from the brick pipe to the ladder. If you didn't make it, you would have fallen into the sump thing! Full of opaque black water!!

Continuing down the beck

The final outfall

Building straddling the beck. There used to be filters under this building, it was used as a mini sewage works back in the day when the beck was polluted and used mainly as a sewer!

From here, the beck runs north towards Shipley, with a couple of very short covered sections, before reaching the River Aire.

Finally managed to cover every part of Macro!! Thanks for looking

flickr my bean

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MJS For This Useful Post:

Krypton (01-02-2011)