Thanks

Default Thorpe Marsh Power Station - Barnby Dun, Doncaster - various dates / years

Inspired by minxy* I dug out a few of my Thorpey shots for the hell of it. You wouldn't imagine there'd be a whole lot to draw you back given the site is essentially a huge area of levelled rubble with a few, mostly gutted, cooling towers and a few out buildings BUT something about the place just draws you in - it's a bit like some sort of Neolithic monument to the National Grid.

Some of these shots come from my early days of post processing, so you might want to turn down the brightness on your eyeballs or view them from behind a protective lead sheet several inches thick, but hey... They get more subtle the further you scroll AND there's a wee treaty-poos at the end -

Looking through the skeleton of the coal-tipping shed toward the towers -

Underneath the coal tip, i.e. underground. As you can see the lowest level is flooded out, so scuba gear or the lung capacity of a blue whale would be required to explore the coal breakers and belt transporters below - reckon there must be an absolute honey of a control room down there too...

My 24mm threw a bit of a curve on the left most tower, but it looks like it's bowing to the big fellas on the right, so I'll go with that. All the black detritus is remnants for the plastic condensation matrices which would've helped to cool the spent steam from the turbine hall -

This is Red 5, I'm going in... A Death Star view under the one intact Cooling Tower. Further in, someone has climbed the concrete framework and punched through the condenser layer to the radiating wooden walkways above - I think I'd need a very large Glenmorangie before I thought about taking a look up there -

This one speaks for itself -

Thorpey's famous digger is one very large piece of kit - the bucket is big enough to scoop up a Fiat 500 methinks...

10,000 hits on this shot, the night Tinsley Towers were razed...

More diggity-digger goodness -

One of the steam control valves remains in a stripped out tower -

Richard Hammond's parking space, and a strategically placed cloud [I waited for it]...

A close-up of one of the few dials in the partially flooded flow-control building not totally mullered -

More flow control goodness - no HDR just lovely post hail storm soft light...

Here's the treat - a vintage photograph of Thorpey's turbine hall as it was during it's working life. I took a sneaky peak inside what became 'Tate Modern' whilst it was being stripped, and if Thorpey's turbines were THAT big, well... gulp!

Thanks for looking
    "Look. Ready? This is it. Forget all previous orders. Just give me a sack of coke, two large rocks, two pink boobs, an enormous lemon, and a large bare lady of the house."

Thanks

Default Re: Thorpe Marsh Power Station - Barnby Dun, Doncaster - various dates / years

i like this report dude you should have had a climb up in that tower it doesnt disappoint

Thanks

Default Re: Thorpe Marsh Power Station - Barnby Dun, Doncaster - various dates / years

Thorpe Marsh is a cool place, Your pics are good except they are too overcooked, why not post the originals, I'm sure they will just be as good. HDR is fine when subtle, but jeez these hurt my eyes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crippletron 3000 View Post
    Thorpe Marsh is a cool place, Your pics are good except they are too overcooked, why not post the originals, I'm sure they will just be as good. HDR is fine when subtle, but jeez these hurt my eyes
    You were warned Crip! Was your lead shield not thick enough?
    "Look. Ready? This is it. Forget all previous orders. Just give me a sack of coke, two large rocks, two pink boobs, an enormous lemon, and a large bare lady of the house."

Thanks

I do like the one with the steam control valve mate

Brrrrap'ford brap brap brap brap brap brap brap
    Thanks

Aye, I'm not a fan of overcooking, can end up with a playstationesque feel to them! The internal ones work well though. Think I've seen some of these on flickr before

flickr my bean

Thanks

Bleeding eye's!!! Lol. The archive shot looks like pyestock (cos of the Parsons turbine is suppose!) interesting take on the place, gas mark a bit to high for me but 'horses for courses'

Described by Yorkshire Forward as "Irresponsible and illegal." Up yer Arse YF!