I'd recently done a photography course and loved urban photography, and was introduced to what Urban Exploring was by Nicola from this forum - decided to google interesting urban places to photo, and stumbled upon Denbigh Asylum reports. I've learnt more about photography since this explore, and I now have a tripod and remote clicker too, for darker rooms.

Denbigh caught my eye, as I did a lot of psychology studies when I was younger and am fascinated by the treatment of asylum patients in days gone by before ethics really kicked in.

So I read past reports on Denbigh, and in particular about Beardy, and although very nervous the whole time around, we didn't see Beardy once. I was gonna hide my camera and play the dumb, apologetic blonde if I saw him - "oh I'm sorry, didn't realise this was private property".

I wanted to go mid-week as I thought security would be less then, but the only person available to come with me was my mum. She's very open minded and loves adventure, but it turned out her mum side still kicked in - "I can hear someone!" "The floors aren't safe!" "It's too dark to go in there!" "There's asbestos there!".

We had a great time but I felt like I couldn't be as risky as I wanted to, and I also think I missed loads from not being with someone who knew their way around.

I didn't see the morgue, or the weighing scales, or any electric chairs, or the control room. I'd love to go back again with someone who knows the place a bit better than me.

Until then, here are my pictures in basic, unedited form...