Thanks

Arrow Gledhow Valley-Sheepscar beck, Leeds, report 10/10/2010

i'd noticed a canalised beck running in a deep trench along various parts of my route,in Leeds. After asking a work mate and a bit of web research found it starts originally as Meanwood beck and ends as Timble Beck below Crown point in Leeds center, and quite well known to many people who have been along it before me.

I got in at my usual spot, the water level was low in the channel but flowing fast, made it from Benson Street to bell street. But snow melt made it dodgy, so i had to give up and headed back to the Sheepscar junction below the New Roscoe pub.

I'd seen this tributary before and presumed it came from Gledhow Valley Woods at Roundhay park. I set off thinking it would be like the rest of the beck interspersed with bridges, tunnels and gaps into the sunlight, a stroll in the park.

Even though the water level was only about 6 inches deep in places because the floor was so slippy, it was like doing a few hours on a cross trainer in a gym, due to the water resistance and not been able to lift my feet too high in case i slipped. I never saw sunlight for over two hours and that was through manholes and the end by Harehills lane.
    most of the route was a mix of red brick circular and concrete tubes, with the odd bridge and rectangular concrete culvert for extra interest.

A good rough floored section, nice set of rapids, but still fairly clueless where i was below Leeds,only a general idea.

Last bit of interesting bridges before the concrete ice rink section, came a cropper a few times in this section.

A last hidden bridge that hadn't seen daylight for a few years.

plenty of interesting side tunnels

back to the round concrete pipes.

The concrete pipes were getting smaller at every junction, now i was bent over carrying heavy gear in neoprene waders, every pipe was covered in spider eggs, tired and still nowhere near any end.

At last sunlight, but the section here has sudden drops about two to three foot deep without any warnings, good job the torch could pick out the hidden drops under water. this part has pretty poor photos as the roof gets really low in places, and the water eventually goes up to chest height and over. So I was trying to hold the camera bag high along with the torch, was tired so the pictures suck. I aim to go from the other way in valley gardens to see where I nearly made it out. But now I realised I had to go all the way back through an ice rink, bent double and needing a beer.

You wouldn't think so near to the outside world but so far, I had to go all the way back.

It took me over an hour to get back out, stinking of sewage and river water, went straight to the first shop , bought two cans of rockstar and downed them in one , went home had a bath and headed into the local pub for a beer.
    Last edited by jcw1967; 06-05-2011 at 09:24 PM. Reason: wrong photo inserts

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jcw1967 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Re: Gledhow Valley-Sheepscar beck, Leeds, report 10/10/2010

Looks like my IT skills need improvement with my photo glitches, ooops. Might try later after looking at the FAQs page,
    sorry
    Last edited by jcw1967; 06-05-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Thanks

Try having a look here fella - some fab advice from Only2Eyes: http://www.urbexforums.co.uk/showthr...062#post165062

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicola For This Useful Post:

jcw1967 (06-05-2011)

Thanks

Nice report n pics!
    The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never any use to oneself.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BB For This Useful Post:

jcw1967 (07-05-2011)

Brrrrap'ford brap brap brap brap brap brap brap
    Thanks

Good effort mate!! That drain was named 'Cyclops' back in 2006! me Clough and Fowle had a look at it the other week but turned back due to boring pipage!! Nice one for going all the way and showing us what it's like! Done the Meanwood / Timble beck (aka the Masticator) stretch numerous times! It's a good mooch.

Cheers for sharing the pics and having the determination to stick it out!!

flickr my bean

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MJS For This Useful Post:

jcw1967 (07-05-2011)

Thanks

Cheers MJS, Thanks for the name update, "Cyclops" well named by somebody. There was very few interesting parts and the concrete pipes were never ending, near the end it was all spider webs and the walls covered with spider eggs. I was absolutely gutted when the deep pool at the end stopped me getting out, so I had to slide all the way back out the way I came.

Thanks

Sweet mate, we let MJS go first so his head cleared the way of all the spiders! Still minging thou, you wanna have a mooch down meanwood beck it comes out at the River Aire where the Royal Armouries is, its a fantastic view and is well worth doing! Good stuff mate thanks for sharing!

"How come the compression is so bad on all those shots man? It looks like they've been edited with a Commodore 64." JST

Brrrrap'ford brap brap brap brap brap brap brap
    Thanks

forgot about the f***ing spiders!! Get getting them in my face!!

flickr my bean

Thanks

Well done on getting pics up - looks ace! I have upgraded your membership - you will now be able to post your reports in the relevant sections, chat to other explorer's in the chat box and comment on other people's reports. Have fun!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicola For This Useful Post:

jcw1967 (08-05-2011)

Thanks

Nice report
    “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”