Thanks

Arrow Line Of Sight, Halifax - May 2011.

Line Of Sight, Halifax

Well what can I say about this one, we went out in search of something else and was soon distracted by manholes & the smell of fresh

Massive shouts to Stepping Lightly for hitting this up with me, I know he's not too fond of the sewers

Our journey was essentially to follow the main outfall sewer through Halifax from Dean Clough down to the treatment works, (1.89 miles of p00p to be precise)

We planned to do the whole lot in one go, but due to time constraints, weather and finally being chased out of a live utility compound we decided it best to re-visit...

...Fast forward another couple of weeks and we made our return, this time in the dead of the night as some of the locations are on-top as fuck to say the least!

I would say that S.L is a human grid key, as how he originally lifted the huge liddage at our safe entrance was beyond belief

That said we were soon back down our now modified manhole and back in familiar territory continuing on our quest down to the works

At just under two miles from upstream down to the treatment plant, the sewer changed size along the way, including:

A log flume, 2 falls, 3 huge screening chambers & miles of crete & festering p00p before finally emerging at the sewer plant

As far as sewers go this is a bloody big modern system, and equally impressive in parts, despite the relentless trudging through turds & fanny plasters and being chased by utilities workers it was well worth the effort

Sponsored by Yorkshire Water I give you 'Line of Shite' (I mean Sight)

Log Flume Acess - UPSTREAM

Naturally we headed in just down from the flume at this chamber here

As tempting as it was to slide down, the sump at the bottom looked grim

Continuing down the RCP for some time we emerged at this here chamber

After a bit of faffing about we headed on into the first (and definately the largest) of the 3 screening chambers/CSO's along the way

The above pic was taken as the sewer headed underneath the giant processors above

A ladder up took us to the 2nd of 3 levels this beast had to offer

Once up we now stood above the sewer overflow

In the event of the sewer reaching capacity the larger stuff is filtered out with the remainder heading down this chute

More ladders took us up to the first floor of the utility building and onto a gantry now high above the sewer

We climbed back down and followed the overflow out, sadly no exit here

Continuing the madness we ploughed on downstream through all manner of waste, before reaching another screening chamber/CSO

We came to this junction, where the sewer was dangerously flowing down the weir and out into the brown pipe ahead, it was fairly deep at this point so only managed a quick handheld shot before GTFO

This section was grim as fuck, but we made our way down the RCP and out into the bottom of the screening chamber

Above were the giant screws housed in the processor room overhead

At this point we couldn't continue in the sewer as it dissapeared through a 300mm slot

We exited through the nearest manhole and back into fresh air briefly, before popping another lid and climbing into the processor room above the sewer

This was a live compound so SL went to keep a look out whilst I took the above shots

"Ojay, OJAY Utilities"

I actually thought it was a wind up to hurry me up until

"OJAY Get the fuck out now"

I literally shot up the hole as a van drove towards us and we had to run like fuck!

The trunk sewer carries on through more RCP as it heads downstream towards the works

Finally, the Outfall sewer reaches the works here

After a short distance it passes through into the final screening chamber before hitting up the rest of the plant

This was the end of the journey, as much as we fancied a mooch about we had other business to attend to, besides the place is covered in CCTV & motion sensors so wasn't worth the hassle on this occasion

Brrrrap'ford brap brap brap brap brap brap brap
    Thanks

Default Re: Line Of Sight, Halifax - May 2011.

You manky bastard!

flickr my bean

Thanks

You filthy drainwhores! This is just... Reckless and irresponsible!

Cracking report there, lovin' the giant screws and beam crane.

Thanks

You drainers are fucking mental. Awesome write up and pics as always. No way would I go down into a sewer, fuck that. I have visions of my Speedlite igniting a pocket of intestinal gas and the whole place going bang! Or am I a little paranoid?