Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Re: The Pan Am Flight 103 Boeing 747 resting place. June 2011.

I flew to New York on this plane, Maid of the Seas, on 22nd August 1985. It was the day of the Manchester air crash and I should have been flying to Washington DC directly to see my boyfriend. All the airspace over Britain was in chaos due to the crash so I was redirected via New York on PanAm 103. I didn't know she was in Lincolnshire. Thanks for the report.
    Life's too short to suck a mushroom

2. The Following User Says Thank You to joybee For This Useful Post:

ROYALBOB (05-06-2011)

Thanks

Great pics but i dodnt think they should have been shared - not having a go....just my oppinion guys :-)
    Find something in this world worth dying for, and spend everyday living for it.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/claire_dobson/

Thanks

Very interesting photos, thanks for putting them up.

I agree that it would be useful to include some history, there are members on this forum who were not born when the events unfolded over Lockerbie, and without the history it's just another pile of scrap. I doubt a post like this would cause offence, it might cause distress - and this is more likely when the remains are presented voyeuristically or just as a pile of scrap without the context of a potted history. This is definitely a location that can be presented a lot more sensitively by taking the time to put some words to the pictures.

Keep up the good work.
    flickr
    To get your bolt out, press "6"

Thanks

interesting pics i think people can be too sensitive about things like this it did happen people did die and peole lost family members but to forget about it isnt right either and seeing these pics serves as a reminder,its hard to word this right to not look like im saying anyone is wrong on their view point but i think saying to not share these pics would be like saying to not share pics of auschwitz imo,a little write up would of been nice too but it does just look like a pile of scrap metal if you hadnt said what it was i would never of guessed what it was.

Thanks

Nice stuff chief. Can't see any problem with sharing these - if they wanted to keep the wreck hidden, it could have been sealed in a container somewhere, not dumped in a scrapyard next to a recreational area.

Eerie, but nice.
    Forget The Darkside - I'm Mr Brightside!

Thanks

"Repeat the history"? As far as i am aware i have never seen this documented on another forum and if Kelseyrebecca hadn't included some history i for one would not have know what this was as i was born well after 1988. I looked at it and thought wtf has he taken pictures of a pile of scrap metal for. But after some history it does appear quite interesting.

The way we post on the forum is up to the individuals making the thread really but i do feel that we have to have some standards really when posting reports and by that i mean posting a bit of information, even if its copied off another person or the internet.

Its no good posting a thread with pictures of scrap metal and saying we all know the history when quite frankly we dont.

Anyway, regardless of that, your pictures are good

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Do66o79 View Post
    Great pics but i dodnt think they should have been shared - not having a go....just my oppinion guys :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny View Post
    interesting pics i think people can be too sensitive about things like this it did happen people did die and peole lost family members but to forget about it isnt right either and seeing these pics serves as a reminder,its hard to word this right to not look like im saying anyone is wrong on their view point but i think saying to not share these pics would be like saying to not share pics of auschwitz imo,a little write up would of been nice too but it does just look like a pile of scrap metal if you hadnt said what it was i would never of guessed what it was.
    I agree with sunny's sentiments but I can understand where Do66o79 is coming from, there are sometimes valid reasons relating to sensitivity, taste and common decency for deciding not to share a site if events are too recent. But once an appropriate interval has passed these places and events become a part of social history. With a degree of sensitivity in presenting a site and the events there is no reason not to post something you'd like to share. If it was an assylum, morgue or residential care home I doubt the sensitivity of the report would even be considered no matter how voyeuristic the approach taken by the photographer, and many of these sites are associated with far more loss than this aircraft.

Krypton, the site has been reported once or twice before on various forums.. but Roger Windley's is generally very sensitive about unauthorised access to the site. The location is very well known and has been published in the national media many times.. the Daily Fail ressurects the story every once in a while when they've column inches to fill. It was camera'd up to the eye balls last time I read up on it (it is still evidence in ongoing legal proceedings) which make me wonder if ROYALBOB was on a permission visit?
    flickr
    To get your bolt out, press "6"

Thanks

Thanks for all the comments good and bad, this was not an intended report, the cars (on another post) were the target, but saw this with the plane engines etc, took some snaps and looked into it when I got back, found out what it was a had a long thought about postong it. I didn't put the history as I did not want to scream out loud what it was, and yes maybe i was ignorant thinking people would know what it was. As for posting it, i believe this site is here to document history in all forms of dereliction / abandonment, anyway, people never seem to complain about the thousands that died in asylums and had horrific experiments placed upon them, just my views. If it helps, i can edit the post with history?

A picture is not a picture without no depth of feeling....

Thanks

Absolutely amazing stuff mate, wow, i would love to see half of the stuff that you see I live in Linclonshire too, please please let me tag along with you at some point

Thanks

Its nice to see what happened to this one, mad that even after they have tried (and released, stupid IMO) its still rotting away classed as evidence! Thanks for posting though and getting the pictures, very interesting certainly made me go out and learn more about what happened as all I originally knew was that a plane blew up and a ton of people died!
    But as others said some history wouldn't go amiss in the future
    Waiting for a war that never happened....

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİ

Visit http://therocproject.webs.com/

Corrosion= Rust = Decay= Bunkerkid

☻/
    /▌
    / \

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast