Thanks

Default grange over sands lido, 6/11. cumbria

was in the area and after talking to blueink about here i had a day off so thought id take a look, great explore(it stayed dry) until exiting when i banged my head on a bar (which at the time left a anti vandal painted lump!) and i fell of the wall in to morecambe bay!

History from a Lido website:-
    This 165 ft x 105 ft lido was built in 1932 and designed by B Smith.

A replacement indoor pool was built by charitable donations when the Council refused to repair the outdoor pool and refused to build a new one. Despite winning prestigious awards for its architecture and design, this indoor pool also closed in 2006 when to the Trust running it went into receivership.

In 2004 proposals for a £6m re-development of the promenade area in Grange-over-Sands were unveiled. An exhibition of the 'Time and Tide Project' was held at Victoria Hall, Grange-over-Sands from 4-6 November 2004. "The project was developed by Grange's 3Ps community group, with support from South Lakeland District Council, Cumbria County Council and Rural Regeneration Cumbria. Architects were commissioned to present ideas for improving the promenade area. They completed their design study in 2004, aimed at addressing the revitalisation of the promenade, renewal of the railway bridge crossings and reclamation of the former swimming pool."

2008: The Council announces a preferred bidder for the re-development of the old Lido site, Berners Close car park, the old nursery site and the Berners Pool area.
    "This important development will be carried by a local consortium called 'Berners Vision Partnership'. It will deliver a new medical centre, leisure facilities and swimming pool, a retirement hotel and an access across the railway line to the old lido site which will be developed to include a café and gardens. New housing ... will be built on the site of Berners Pool. Discussions will now take place with the developer and the District Council, Town Council and the 3P’s Group to put together a final proposal to go to formal planning. This will be linked with the Heritage Lottery bid by the 3P Group for the re-development of the promenade and gardens."

and i had a paddle!

overall a good explore you can be seen when on the higher stuff but nobody bothered to much and you cant get in to any of the buildings still!
    check out the website scrappynw.com
    flickr

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scrappy For This Useful Post:

Derelict-UK (12-06-2011), JEP27 (13-06-2011)