Brrrrap'ford brap brap brap brap brap brap brap
    Thanks

Default Standedge Tunnels - June 2011 - Yorkshire/Manchester border

HISTORY: The Standedge Tunnels are four parallel tunnels that run beneath the Pennines between Marsden and Diggle, on the edges of West Yorkshire and Greater Manchester. There are three railway tunnels and a canal tunnel (on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal). The canal tunnel is the longest and oldest of the tunnels, and holds the record as the longest and highest canal tunnel in Britain. All four tunnels are linked by cross-tunnels or adits at strategic locations within the tunnels. The adits allowed the railway tunnels to be built much more quickly by allowing 'waste spoil'(sic) to be removed by boat and reducing the need for shafts for construction.
    Of the railway tunnels, only the tunnel built in 1894 is currently used for rail traffic. Closed in 1943, the canal tunnel was re-opened in May 2001.
    The Canal Tunnel is the longest, deepest and highest canal tunnel in Britain. It is 5,029 metres (16,499 ft) long, 194 metres (636 ft) underground at the deepest point, and 196 metres (643 ft) above sea level.

Stolen from Wikipedia, more HERE

Great explore this, one I've wanted to do for some time, went through the Canal tunnel about 10 years ago with my dad not long after it reopened, and revisited with the much loved Cloughster, and another mate who is into photography.

STANDEDGE TUNNELS

Starting from the Manchester side, we walked 3.5 miles underground back to good ol' Yorkshire.

The bottom of one of the towering air shafts. Being below the water table, water was pouring down here!

One of the many side tunnels leading to the canal

There were three or four of these places. When boats travel through, these are used as check points by some bloke in a van to make sure the boats are safe!

One of the many links between the two service tunnels and the live rail tunnel, the canal runs beneath the slab which Clough and Holloway are standing on

These two vaulted sections stand side by side at a point where the two service tunnels meet

Clough at the base of another air shaft

Another check point used for the boat trips

A Spraycreted section of the canal tunnel. There are much nicer sections to the canal tunnel, but can only be seen by boat.

Big thanks to Converse1 for the flashbulbs. Hope you enjoyed it, because I certainly did

flickr my bean

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MJS For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Re: Standedge Tunnels - June 2011 - Yorkshire/Manchester border

Quality simple as
    "God will forgive them. He'll forgive them, and allow them into heaven. I can't live with that."