Thanks

Default Holme Bank Chert Mine - Bakewell - July 2011

Visited with AndyJ and Buddah

Thanks to Carling for the "extra" info on the place.

A C+P from Aditnow - Holme Bank chert mine was worked from around 1800 up to 1960. There are extensive workings, notable for the large packwalls used to support the roof after the chert beds had been removed. The last company to operate the mine (Smiths Runners) also manufactured davie blocks for building, and continued to do so on site up to about 1995. Much of the surface plant is still on site. For firther details, see Bowering and Flindall's article "Hard Times: A History of the Derbyshire Chert Industry"

Our Trip - This is a great mine, very easy to get around and ram packed full with history, i beleive it is made up of 2 sets of workings, the lower (holme bank) and the upper (holme hall), we had been told that there was no longer a connection between them, lost to either flooding or clapse, we can say this isnt the case, we found at least 2 intact routes between the upper and lower sections. in total, we spent around 6 hours in here, there was just so much to see.

We did have a bit of a camera fail, i managed to snap the head off my tripod, and andy managed to drop his camera, so my selection of pics is a bit limmited, sure buddah will post a few more when he sees this though.

Thanks for looking

Thanks

Default Re: Holme Bank Chert Mine - Bakewell - July 2011

That's pretty sweet that is mate, cracking photos too lots of bits of history left down there

"How come the compression is so bad on all those shots man? It looks like they've been edited with a Commodore 64." JST