Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Robin Hoods Bay North Yorkshire uk. Smugglers tunnels or just drainage? 18/6/2011

Has any one had a good look at these tunnels ?

Did the coast to coast walk june 2011,only had a short time take a look at this.

The first reference to Robin Hood's Bay comes in 1538 when it was recorded as "a fisher townlet of twenty boats". At that time the settlement consisted of just fifty houses, but from that day to this the activities of the people living here have centred around and been dominated by the sea. Generations of fishermen have lived out their lives here, and smuggling looms large in the village's history. Many of the houses were once connected by a network of tunnels -- some still are -- that enabled smuggled goods to be easily transported from bay to clifftop without ever seeing the light of day.

In addition to the fishermen and smugglers it has produced over the years, Robin Hood's Bay also provided the Merchant Navy with hundreds of new recruits. Records show that in 1750, nearly 300 men out of a population of 800 joined up, and several Navigation Schools sprang up here to provide them with the skills they neede.

The first tunnel runs from the top of the village down to the sea,big enough to stand up in and wide enough to get a boat up.

Infall

Outfall to the sea.

This was the intresting one it went under the road and village,Old wood beams and plank roof.just didt have time or kit do much this tunnel went a lat further under the village.

Thanks for looking.

http://s612.photobucket.com/home/malc65/index
    Last edited by Fizgig; 31-07-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Robin Hoods Bay North Yorkshire uk. Smugglers tunnels or just drainage? 18/6/2011

The beams in your last photographs seem to have wooden pegs as nails - unless they're knots in the wood? If its pegs that would make them very old.

Thanks

Default Re: Robin Hoods Bay North Yorkshire uk. Smugglers tunnels or just drainage? 18/6/2011

Looks like pegs to me.

Thanks

Thats good mate nice efforts, looks old wood to me

"How come the compression is so bad on all those shots man? It looks like they've been edited with a Commodore 64." JST

Thanks

Nice explore

Sleep Asylum...under VERY heavy audio sedation.
    Thanks

Nice. I remember as a kid when I used to go to Bridlington with my parents, we'd see Robin Hood's Bay signed up.
    "Mad dogs were just mad and the woolen numbness of anaesthesia."

Dystopian Wanderer's Photo Bucket.

"Dogs and cats are better than kids-they don't ask for money and if they get pregnant you can sell their children."

Don't let time crumble away your own structure-support life extension <<CLICK TO LEARN MORE>>.

Brrrrap'ford brap brap brap brap brap brap brap
    Thanks

Nice one mate, always wondered about these tunnels

flickr my bean

Thanks

interesting stuff!
    apparently beneath Whitehaven is supposedly riddled with these type of Smugglers tunnels of which I am yet to find!
    "It looks like its an awful long way down.........................Ouch.... actually, its not that far"!!

Thanks

looks like fun this place

Thanks

The whole area is pretty interesting and has a massive history of smuggling. I grew up down the road!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast