Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Crouchers Caves & Courts Wine Vaults Jan 2011

I just came across these pictures which where taken as the title suggests quite some time back,so there's my excuse for poor quality of photographs right there as back then i was lazy and didn't take my time setting shots up or lighting them.

This was a flying visit to the section right next door called soldiers home caves,while we where there an opportunity presented it self and it would be rude not to go through into the other 2 sections and have a poke around.I'm hoping I'm posting the correct pics under the sections named as i say was a fair long while back and pics have been jumbled up a bit so ill do my best from memory to get them in the right order

This was visited with myself,Maniac,Obscurity,Frosty, and nON member Teebs....History borrowed from subterranean history

first section..

Croucher's Tunnels, Dover
    These tunnels are known as 'Croucher's Tunnels' after the Croucher & Co Shipwrights, who operated from premises in front of the tunnels in the 1960s & 70s, and used the tunnels as a store. Prior to this they seem to have been known as 'Bushell's Caves', presumably after Bushell & Co. who previously occupied the site. The tunnels themselves form the centre section of a series of tunnels in Dover's Snargate Street. The three sets of tunnels from West to East are the Court's Wine Vaults (Barwicks Caves), Croucher's Tunnels and Soldiers' Home Caves. They were all linked during WW2 to create a large Air Raid Shelter, but since the war have reverted to different private ownerships. This section takes the form of three parallel tunnels dug into the cliff at an angle, which are interconnected at the far end. They are still used to this day as a storage area.

Onto the next section....

Courts' Wine Vaults, Dover

These tunnels were excavated by Dover wine merchant Stephen Court at the beginning of the 19th Century. They were dug into cliffs at the rear of the Courts' premises in Snargate Street, and along with terraced gardens and a folly shaped like Dover Castle on the cliff face, were a tourist attraction in their day. Wines were even made from the grapes and exotic fruits growing on the cliff terraces, and were stored in the vaults below. The tunnels are lined throughout and have alcoves in the walls, which presumably held the racks for wine bottles. The Courts' premises was demolished during or just before the Second World War, and the tunnels were linked to others further along the street to form a large air raid shelter (graffiti still remains in the tunnels from this time). After the war local building firm R.J Barwick moved onto the site and the caves have been known as 'Barwick's Caves' ever since.

a few pics from inside..again sorry about quality ..

Was a very unexpected visit and due to pics not being great i had almost forgotten about actually posting.. i realise also i missed so many nice bits of graffiti ,but was a surprise visit and didn't have a huge amount of time in there due to earlier explores
    Last edited by wevsky; 08-09-2011 at 10:21 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wevsky For This Useful Post:

Smiler (28-09-2011)

Thanks

Default Re: Crouchers Caves & Courts Wine Vaults Jan 2011

Interesting report and good write up

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicola For This Useful Post:

wevsky (08-09-2011)

Thanks

nice pics
    yesterday is history.tomorrow is a mystery. today is a gift thats why is called present

Thanks

Nice one boss

"How come the compression is so bad on all those shots man? It looks like they've been edited with a Commodore 64." JST

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clough For This Useful Post:

wevsky (08-09-2011)

Thanks

Looks very intresting mate thanks for sharing
    "God will forgive them. He'll forgive them, and allow them into heaven. I can't live with that."

Thanks

well maybe i should have kept this to myself i dont know as from the pictures u can see some parts are used as workshops etc..but no harm no fail..just pictures mate

Thanks

Nice pics there, good post

Thanks

nice to see your work Mr W.......hope all is well in your neck of the woods

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by captain cave man View Post
    nice to see your work Mr W.......hope all is well in your neck of the woods
    well its touch and go ..not every one appreciates me posting this particular report..a difference of opinions me thinks

Thanks

Courts Folly is also nown as Dover's Hidden castle. There are some very nice photos of it on Google Images.
    Somebody posted a video of it on YouTiube, complete with the following directions for reaching the folly itself:-

you need to go halfway up the Cowgate steps that lead to the Drop Redoubt from the cemetery. Then climb over the rail on your left and try and scramble along the bank until you turn the corner. It should take you 5-10 mins but you should find no problem. It's slippery, rough and a bit dangerous, so please be careful. !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast