Brrrrap'ford brap brap brap brap brap brap brap
    Thanks

Default Teufelsberg - Berlin - Oct 2011

"The Teufelsberg (German for Devil's Mountain) is a hill in Berlin, Germany, in former West Berlin. It rises about 80 meters above the surrounding Brandenburg plain, more precisely the north of Berlin's Grunewald forest.
    It is an artificial hill with a curious history: it was built by the Allies after the Second World War from the rubble of Berlin during the following twenty years as the city was rebuilt. One estimate for the amount of rubble is about 12 million cubic meters, or about 400,000 buildings. It is as high as the highest natural hill (Großer Müggelberg) in the Berlin area.
    Teufelsberg's origin does not in itself make Teufelsberg unique, as there are many similar man-made rubble mounds in Germany (see Schuttberg) and other war-torn cities of Europe. The curiousness begins with what is buried underneath the hill: a Nazi military-technical college designed by Albert Speer. The Allies tried using explosives to demolish the school, but it was so sturdy that covering it with debris turned out to be easier.
    In the 1960s a small skiing center was built on the slopes of the hill.
    The place has been a location for movies, like The Gamblers, 2007, by Sebastian Bieniek.
    As in the whole Grunewald (means green forest in German), wild boar, nicknamed "grunie pigs" by American soldiers, frequently roam the hill"
    . - Wikipedia

Absolutely loved this place. A fair few folk milling around, great atmosphere and a gorgeous sunset. Want to go back at night, but I left my bloody remote release in the UK!!

Not Teufelsberg, but fairly close, this next one is Lichterfelde Power Station

My ankles are mega bruised for some reason! Hoping they heel up so I can walk and explore some more!!
    Thanks for looking
    Last edited by MJS; 05-10-2011 at 09:28 AM.

flickr my bean

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MJS For This Useful Post:

Rebal62 (07-11-2011)