Thanks

Post Seismograph ROC posts

Thought this might be worthy of putting up to document the ROC.

There are a few posts (or where some are no longer operational) that after the ROC was stood down in 1991 were reused for storing seismograph equipment placed in by the AWE (Atomic Weapons Establishment) for monitoring radiation levels and all that toss.
    There were 6 posts with this stuff, some of which are documented on here: Middlesmoor (Yorkshire), Barham (Kent), South Creake (Norfolk), Lampeter (Cardiganshire), Llanuwchllyn (Merionethshire) and St. Breward (Cornwall).

I myself have visited St.Breward (link below) and it has some odd equipment on the surface, all looked to be still in use as you can read but some have been shut down over the years so its not certain if there still going. When questioned about these seismic stations in 1994 the public relations officer at AWE Aldermaston said "These form a part of the Ministry of Defence network of seismic stations used in connection with nuclear test ban verification. We have 6 seismic stations at former ROC sites.

http://www.urbexforums.co.uk/showthr...hlight=seismic

Also found this from a guy who found way back in 1994 that a former post had been broken into so he had a look into it and this is what he heard.

To make your lives easier ive also done a list below of them and their current condition:

Middlesmoor: Stripped and now Locked

Barnham: Open and stipped of Seismograph gear.

South Creake: Open and only some remains of Seismograph gear.

Lampter: Appears open and flooded but possibly still in use, surface equipment still around.

Llanuwchllyn: Locked and still possibly operational as all surface equipment is in good condition and well kept.

St.Breward: Locked and kept in good running condition, high chance of still being operational.

There is however a seventh post which is still confirmed as running which has been opened in recent years, the post at Wroughton in Wiltshire. Below are pictures of it inside and out showing the equipment.

http://earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/monitoring/SWN_bunker.jpg

It seems no one has really addressed what has happened to these posts so im sending a letter/email to them inquiring, ill post the results when I get them!

http://www.urbexforums.co.uk/showthr...hlight=seismic
    Waiting for a war that never happened....

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİ

Visit http://therocproject.webs.com/

Corrosion= Rust = Decay= Bunkerkid

☻/
    /▌
    / \

Thanks

Default Re: Seismograph ROC posts

I will be interested to see the outcome.

I visited the middlesmoor one last year sometime - apart from a few MOD crates and some modern BT Equipment (which is now in my possession) there was nothing.

What was interesting was the details on the front of the circuit boxes for the BT Equipment. Cant remember them off the top of my head but the 'Circuit Name' was 'Atomic Weapons'. There was also a location for the outgoing equipment and ingoing information etc etc.

Good luck

P.S there was also the information and operating instructions for the Seismic Equipment - i have them somewhere i will dig them out and scan them in you may find them interesting.

Thanks

If you could email me copies of the Seismic equipment instructions that would be awesome mate, and the modern BT stuff I take it wasn't the standard ROC comms gear?

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİ

☻/
    /▌
    / \

Thanks

No it wasnt - very modern junction boxes and so on - i have a pic somewhere i will put it on here.

Thanks

Thanks

Haha that's awesome, did you dial the number and say your had their BT stuff

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİ

☻/
    /▌
    / \

Thanks

Nooo haha i imagine the number either A) doesnt work or B) just goes through to customer care in india. I would probablys then end up starting a terror alert when quoting circuit number 'Atomic Weapons'!

Thanks

Ok - so as requested here is the Paperwork i have regarding Seismograpgh ROC Posts and Equipment. I dont know anyone else with this so it is rare!

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

It sounds like the equipment was installed way before stand down...

Thanks

That's awesome Jack thanks for posting, know its a lot to ask but mind emailing me some privately some copies minus the watermark? Id like to get some printed for MS to put on the walls. Thanks

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİ

☻/
    /▌
    / \

Thanks

That will be fine, i was just a bit wary of posting them on the net - as they are very rare.

PM me your home address and i will send some photocopies to you. My scanner crops things randomly so (as you can see in the last two photos) - so id rather you had them as authentic as possible - i'll just photocopy the originals.