Thanks

Default wisbech general cemetery

ok, so first i will start with a spot of background hisrory brought to you by the local heratige inicitive Wisbech General Cemetery was set up in 1836 primarily as a cemetery for non-conformists. The land was purchased from one of the leading nonconformists of the day, Mr. Joshua Bland, and the cost was defrayed by the selling of shares in what was hoped to become a profitable company. The land was laid out as a formal garden, copying the design of the first public cemetery at Kensal Green in London.

Over the next one hundred years many prominent citizens of Wisbech were buried here; Samuel Smith, (it was he who took the now famous photographs of the chapel), together with his wife and family, members of the Dawbarn family, Ollards, Southwells and Gardiners.
    bellow is a picure of the cemetery chaple as it appered in 1858

and a satalight photo of the cemetarys genral location from our friends at google maps.

as you can see the cemetary is situated at the top of the photo bueried under lots of foliage
    infact the cemetary was so well hidden i have lived in the town of wisbech for 29 years and never even knew it was there until i accidentlly stubled across it on 13.02.12 the cemetary is open to the public so entry was not a problem although it could easaly be missed as it is situated at the back of some houses and dosent apper on goole maps and didnt look like anybody had been there for some time.

below are a just afew picutres i took of the cemetarh as it stands today for your viewing pleasure
    enjoy -

Thanks

Default Re: wisbech general cemetery

This thread is pretty much the same as the origenal only with alittle more back ground history this time around.

Thanks

That's better..
    flickr
    To get your bolt out, press "6"

Thanks

Thanks salt george I felt the cemetary deserved a proper report, its such a beautiful hidden place, almost like a seceret garden, If my report inspires even one person to visit our fare town I'll be a happy man

Thanks

much better nice pics
    yesterday is history.tomorrow is a mystery. today is a gift thats why is called present

Thanks

thanks boxer
    the lord is my shepherd, my strength and my shield, ye though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death i will fear no evil for thou art with me.