Thanks

Arrow Beelitz Heilstatten - Feb 2012 (Image Intensive)

The first exploration I had on my list in Berlin, this report was compiled by Priority 9 (My 9 year old daughter). For a first attempt at research and writing I am impressed however I caught her out with one of her paragraphs that read " This was my first explore outside of Norway" bless her. In the end the research is sound if not completely her own hand

Beelitz-Heilstätten is a large hospital complex of about 60 buildings including a cogeneration plant erected from 1898 on according to plans of architect Heino Schmieden. Originally designed as a tuberculosis sanatorium by the Berlin workers' health insurance corporation, the complex from the beginning of World War I on was a military hospital for the Imperial German Army. During October and November 1916, Adolf Hitler recuperated at Beelitz-Heilstätten after being wounded in the leg at the Battle of the Somme, the hospital is even mentioned in his book Mein Kampf.

In 1945, Beelitz-Heilstätten was occupied by Soviet forces, and the complex remained a Soviet military hospital until 1995, well after the German reunification. In December 1990 Erich Honecker was admitted to Beelitz-Heilstätten after being forced to resign as the head of the East German government.

Following the Soviet withdrawal, attempts were made to privatise the complex, but they were not entirely successful. Some sections of the hospital remain in operation as a neurological rehabilitation center and as a center for research and care for victims of Parkinson’s disease. The remainder of the complex, including the surgery, the psychiatric ward, and a rifle range, was abandoned in 2000. As of 2007, none of the abandoned hospital buildings or the surrounding area was secured, giving the area the feel of a ghost town. This has made Beelitz-Heilstätten a destination for curious visitors and a film set for movies like The Pianist from 2002 and Valkyrie from 2008.
    This amazing hospital complex, just outside Berlin, has been on the top of my “to do” locations since I read TeeJF and Tonto’s reports a while back. Nothing quite prepared me for the huge buildings and the area covered by the buildings is quite overwhelming. As a result I have an massive amount of photos all of which can be found here http://www.prioritysevenphotography.co.uk/?p=337. Below is a "small" selection.

Thanks for looking

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Priority 7 For This Useful Post:

dannyday58218195 (07-03-2012)