Thanks

Default Mooching in Middle Shitlington 1999/2000?

A set of pics from the turn of the century but I can't remember exactly which year. It was certainly before I'd heard of the term 'urbex' and probably before I had internet access. I doubt there's any information on this place on the interwebz, in fact it's difficult to find any trace of it at all.

I have an interest in railways, especially narrow gauge and industrial ones and I'd seen a sales leaflet for a mine manriding car made by a company called Ingham. I'd never heard of this one before and was told, by another railway nut, that it used to be in Thornhill Road, Middlestown, West Yorkshire and they produced narrow gauge wagons (tubs) for mines and other such uses but it had closed long ago and there would probably be nothing left to see now. The sales leaflet did date from the 1950s after all...

Anyway, I drove up to see what I could find and saw a ramshackle collection of industrial buildings built onto what looked like a stone-built stable block. They were clad in corrugated iron and asbestos with brick extensions here and there. The yard was very overgrown but I knew I'd found the right place as I could see a mine tub with weeds growing out of it. I walked down one side but there was no way of getting in to the yard and the fence was too high to climb easily and in view of houses on the other side of the road so I headed back to the motor. For some reason I decided to try the front door and it wasn't locked!

I closed the door after me and headed down a dark corridor that had an old clocking-on machine on the wall and came out in this workshop.

As you can see, narrow gauge tracks, set into concrete, went everywhere and with turnplates too!

One of the wagons that had been used to carry materials about the works. Probably made from a V-skip tipping wagon chassis.

Another wagon chassis, probably originally a U-shape bodied mine tipper wagon.

As I later found out, the works had been a general engineers in recent times and had not built mining or light railway equipment for many years. About a month after these pics were taken the works was demolished and the site cleared. It's now posh houses and you'd never know that an engineering works had ever been there.

Oh and the thread title? Middlestown was formerly known as Middle Shitlington but the Victorians, not wanting their village associated with the vulgar word for excrement, changed it.
    Last edited by Rustynail; 10-04-2012 at 08:26 PM.
    Don't tread on me

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rustynail For This Useful Post:

Ace247 (29-06-2012)

Thanks

Default Re: Mooching in Middle Shitlington 1999/2000?

It makes me sad to think that it's all gone. All the interesting stuff will have been scrapped too.
    It makes me wish I could keep some of the stuff but it's not as if I've got anywear to put old railway machines :L

wolfism Guest

Cheers for posting, often the smallest engineering works have the most character. The skip frames look similar to the style that Hudson made…

Thanks

i like this it just looks as if the the works have just downed tools and walked out the place not even botherered to lock the door and all gone home and never came back its very strange

Thanks

Places like this certainly are strange, another 'out the door screw the rest' type place. Cheers for posting though, bet it was a real surprise opening the door and seeing all that!
    Waiting for a war that never happened....

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİ

Visit http://therocproject.webs.com/

Corrosion= Rust = Decay= Bunkerkid

☻/
    /▌
    / \

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfism View Post
    Cheers for posting, often the smallest engineering works have the most character. The skip frames look similar to the style that Hudson made…
    That's probably because the company were taken over by Hudsons.

Yeah, I know my reply has been a long time coming but I've not been able to get on this site for ages.
    Don't tread on me

wolfism Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynail View Post
    That's probably because the company were taken over by Hudsons.
    Right, makes sense.. If you have any other pics from pre-internet/ pre-UE visits to places, would love to see them. I have a shoebox of old photos that I keep meaning to scan in..

Thanks

Nice history.

My camera bag weighs far too much for these poor quality photos: My Flickr