Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Soviet Cold War Ghost Town (Pic Heavy)

What's up everyone,

I've decided to post this here, hope I have the right category. The reason being that this ghost town deep inside the forests of Brandenburg once played a very important role in the Cold War. It was specifically built to store nuclear weapons, as well as housing the families of scientists, those in the military, engineers etc.

I went at this one solo, and for the next 6 hours I was living my dream. I am a real Soviet nut, and I'd actually just returned from a 3 month trip all across Russia and Ukraine (of course I saw Pripyat!). I thought Pripyat was the only chance I'd ever have to see the raw, unspoiled traces of life behind the Iron Curtain, turns out I was wrong. As with all good things though, there's usually a catch (and there was) which I will go on to at the end. I have literally hundreds more Photographs of this great place, but I've narrowed it down to a select few. Anyway, hope you enjoy.

So everything is going perfect, then from somewhere in the depths of the forest I heard a noise of real dread. Howling wolves, sounded like a couple of them. At first I was able to put it off, but then it got louder, more numerous and sounded as if it was outside the door. I cringe to think just how much of this amazing place I left behind, but I took no chances. I packed my gear and ran like hell!

Cheers for looking!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fluxy For This Useful Post:

BB (15-04-2012), Krypton (16-04-2012), Smiler (16-04-2012), urban phantom (16-04-2012)