Thanks

Default Llangunnor Lead Mine, South Wales - May 2012

A quick unscheduled visit to a mine I had heard about a while back, although this is just one working, there are loads more that lie undiscovered in the surrounding hills. a return visit is definitely needed!

History

Not far from Llandeilo lie the disused Llangunnor lead mines. The rich lodes of the hill were claimed to have been discovered in the 18th century, but there is evidence of earlier workings; including the discovery of boreholes filled with lime (that may predate the use of gunpowder in the district). In 1852 Thomas Field formed the Vale of Towy Silver-Lead Mining Company, which sank four shafts - Bonvilles', Clays', Fields', and Nant, of which Clays' was the deepest (124 fathoms) though all have been filled in by today. In 1853-4, old workings south of Nant farm were re-explored under the name South Towy. Little of value was discovered, but in 1861, due to failure of the main lode, the Vale of Towy took a lease on part of the property and dug an unsuccessful adit beneath 'an ancient mine' (pre-dating the 19th century workings) known as Pwll y Plwm ('the Pit of Lead').

Further east, the North Towy and Cystanog United Lead Mines Company began work on Allt Cystanog Hill. Two adits and two shafts were dug in 1853, in a line south from the road. The finding of good ore led the Company to sink a shaft on the north side of the road. By 1856 this shaft had reached a depth of 28 fathoms, with levels extending beneath the river, but disappointing results ended in the auction and eventual sale of the mine to Thomas Field. Field restarted the mine in 1859, but what little work was carried out ceased the following year.

1 Main drive

2 Little flooded winze

3 Section of Deads

4 Junction

5 Wall was very flat here

6 Looking back to entrance showing higher workings

Lots of little crawlable passages that I never ventured into due to my attire!

Thanks

Default Re: Llangunnor Lead Mine, South Wales - May 2012

Minez. They all look dangerous as f00k don't think ill ever fancy doing one so I salute you Sir.

Clear pictures too boyo!

"How come the compression is so bad on all those shots man? It looks like they've been edited with a Commodore 64." JST

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Minez. They all look dangerous as f00k don't think ill ever fancy doing one so I salute you Sir.

Clear pictures too boyo!
    Ta very much! Get yourself down one, once youve done one you will never look back!

Thanks

Nice report Walsh some excellent pictures here too...Clough pull a sicky on friday and join Walsh and myself for mine extravaganza in Welsh wales...it looks like a slate or gold mine...bring the LLS!
    My blog page is Here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the kwan View Post
    Nice report Walsh some excellent pictures here too...Clough pull a sicky on friday and join Walsh and myself for mine extravaganza in Welsh wales...it looks like a slate or gold mine...bring the LLS!
    Yes!!! plenty of crawling and sliding down slate chambers to be had....