Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default SOE Manor - AKA Hotel B - July 2012

This was one of those places that I had wanted to do for nearly two years,
    right on my doorstep but very put off by the knowledge that their was a live in caretaker and a little story of the fate of the splorers who tried before us, nuff said

Splored with Skeleton Key and Jayne Doe.

I normally mooch, but this time I crept, creeping almost cartoon like, knowing that every creaking floorboard or squeaky door might alert the caretaker who lived on the 3rd floor.

Walking down one of the corridors in the gloom actually reminded me of a film that I had seen a few years back.

Derelict Hotel?? Live in Caretaker?? I expected to turn the corner and see these two

Anyway, enough of the rambling, on with the history, grab yourself a coffee, this goes on a bit!!!

The History

Built circa 1719 by the mason Christopher Cass for a Mr Robert Chester who was a
    director of The South Sea Company.

The Grade II listed building was passed down through the generations and across the family tree like any other country manor
    and nothing interesting is documented there until the 20th century when the Special Operations Executive (SOE) set up a base there and in its final years was a hotel sitting in 80 acres with its own golf course

The rest of this report is extracts from an interview with one of the SOE workers (Stolen from the BBC)

In the early years of the war, I, a young R.E. officer, was given the job by SOE HQ in Baker Street, London,
    of starting up and running a forgery unit, with the object of providing forged documents for our agents operating with the various underground Resistance movements in occupied Europe.

"We occupied the cellars of this country house, while above ground and in the surrounding countryside, Polish officers and NCOs were being trained with German weapons and plastic explosive to become saboteurs ."

"My staff originally consisted of just three Polish civilians, only one of whom spoke any English, who had probably been doing similar work in Poland before the war.
    But with the recruitment of Sapper technicians from the RE Survey companies, a handwriting expert from New Scotland Yard,
    an engraver from de la Rue the stamp and banknote printers and some additional machinery, we were able to get into production."

"We fully realised that agents lives were at risk who used our documents, so every effort was made to ensure that the latter looked really authentic.
    To this end, no expense was spared, and even if only a couple of hundred identity cards for a job were required, we would think nothing of having tons of special board or paper made.
    We faithfully reproduced all the imperfections on the original document that we had obtained from our agents, and had, at times, to age certain documents artificially to make them look genuinely old."

"Certainly we were able to forge practically anything our agents brought back; but the job had also to have a less serious side at times."

"On one such occasion, the FANNYS at the adjoining Free French station had decided to throw a party, and we decided that for this, we would produce a couple of hundred copies of the then current five pound English banknote,
    substituting Brigadier Gubbin's portrait and signature for that of the Governor of the Bank of England - as the banknote was only printed in black, this was easy to forge,
    and during the course of the evening, we dropped the notes onto the dance floor from a balcony. The Brigadier was amused, but warned us to make sure none of them finished up in the hands of the Police!"

"We had to smile too, when, on another occasion, some of the Polish would-be saboteurs were sent out on a demolition exercise, when they were supposed to blow up a spare bit of railway line that was lying near the main London-Cambridge line.
    With somewhat misplaced zeal however, they fixed the explosive to the rails on the main line itself, and blew it up, causing the line to be out of commission for half a day.
    Fortunately, no one was hurt, but our OC, a Ghurkha major, was none too pleased!"

"In 1942, SOE HQ decided to experiment with the dropping of office-type printing machinery by parachute, in the hope that if this was successful,
    these machines could be got to the Resistance to produce seditious literature on the spot and make things more difficult for the Germans."

"So, one bright, sunny, summer day found a circle of officers, including a number of 'brass hats' from London, gathered in a circle round the intended dropping zone in the grounds"

"I was one of those present, and standing next to me was a good looking young Scotsman dressed in a kilt; to our mutual surprise, we found that we had both been in the same class at Kelvinside Academy in Glasgow many years before the war, and before I and my family moved South.
    I did remember his surname, Torrance, but before I could ask him to remind me what his Christian name was, the drop had taken place, and it was too late"

The rest of my photos are here..........
    My Blog http://nellyurbex.blogspot.com/
    My Facebook http://www.facebook.com/NellyUrbex

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nelly For This Useful Post:

birdinanaviary (05-07-2012), Smiler (05-07-2012)

Thanks

Default Re: SOE Manor - AKA Hotel B - July 2012

Mint sauce nelly! Proper lovely staircase, very very niiiiice!

Well done
    'MARK MY DICKING WORDS' - Derphouse, Aug 12
    Flickr Website

4. The Following User Says Thank You to birdinanaviary For This Useful Post:

nelly (06-07-2012)

Thanks

Fuck yes, the caretaker on the third floor LOL top banana your one of my fave derpers caning shit like this and a lovely man too.

Mint sauce Sir, mint sauce

"How come the compression is so bad on all those shots man? It looks like they've been edited with a Commodore 64." JST

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Clough For This Useful Post:

nelly (06-07-2012)

Thanks

Ah Mr Clough. You make me blush

Thank you
    The rest of my photos are here..........
    My Blog http://nellyurbex.blogspot.com/
    My Facebook http://www.facebook.com/NellyUrbex

Thanks

Lovely stuff ninja nelly derpbex
    BLOG I SPLORE WHERE NO MAN HAS SPLORED BEFORE

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mr beardy For This Useful Post:

nelly (06-07-2012)

Thanks

MMMMM. Sweet, l; lovely to see somewhere new and to get such a good report!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BadBatz For This Useful Post:

nelly (06-07-2012)

Thanks

love it love it love it nally
    yesterday is history.tomorrow is a mystery. today is a gift thats why is called present

13. The Following User Says Thank You to boxerheaven For This Useful Post:

nelly (06-07-2012)

Thanks

Mate your reports are always the dogs bollocks ...keep it up mate top work
    "God will forgive them. He'll forgive them, and allow them into heaven. I can't live with that."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to coops For This Useful Post:

nelly (06-07-2012)

Thanks

Love the history youve put on and the shots are great
    the decor in there is impressive.
    “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BA For This Useful Post:

nelly (06-07-2012)

Thanks

love it, good show