Thanks

Default Rhosydd Slate mine and ghost village, wales, Sept 2012

Rhosydd slate mine and quarry

Visited with Walsh and I really have to say that Rhosydd is by far the most treacherous Mine that I have been in and I am sure that Walsh will agree that a real fear was present when we visited and passed through certain chambers...this place is a deathtrap however the long walk up to the Quarry is perhaps the most beautiful scenic landscape that I have seen for a long time.
    we saw dinghys underground and the most fantastic incline pulleys..check it!

Firstly the usual video, and I would say that if anyone watches it then check between 3.50mins and 4.50mins to see WALSH stuck between some collapsed rocks...funny I thought

Slate was first discovered here in the 1830's when quarrying commenced on a very small scale. Operated by a string of different owners each developing and enlarging the workings. But the story is not one of steady expansion. The ups and downs of the slate trade, the difficulties of raising capital, geological problems and dangerous underground working practices also brought periods of closure and industrial unrest. Peak output occurred in the 1880's when over 6000 tons per year of saleable slate was mined. This was also the period of greatest employment when over 200 workers were engaged. A major blow to the quarry occurred in 1900 when the "Great Fall" occurred underground, in the south eastern section of the workings. This destroyed a large part of the most profitable reserves. From this major blow the quarry never fully recovered.

The first world war brought about a period of complete closure followed by reopening in 1919 and a brief flurry of activity. A slow lingering existence followed until final closure in 1930. However in the hope of the market for slate improving it was decided to keep the underground pumps working. This proved to be a futile gesture and the pumps were finally turned off in 1948 causing much of the underground workings to flood. The life of the quarry had ended and the scrapmen moved in. The final ignominy being the wholesale demolition of many of the quarry buildings to recover the workable slate. This accounts for the ruinous state of much of the surface remains today.

some pictures

one of Walsh as we made our way up

The ghost village and a chance to get water for the carbide, we were up in the clouds

At the end of the 2km walk in is what has been affectionately named as Piccadilly Circus, walsh can be seen on one side and the large Horizontal pulley on the other.

A large horizontal pulley that hauled carts into and out of the mines 2km entrance, the foam is from running water.

Turntables at the bottom of the incline that shifted the carts direction

The mammy of pulleys at the top of the incline that are still in surprisingly good nick, this place was all about PULLEYS and winches

Not on the scale of Cwmorthin but we have STEPS!!..they led to a collaps, this seemed to be a common theme in this mine.

we eventually crossed the border of Rhosydd into Croesor and found boaty type fun...but alas not for us. check the kip of that old bridge.

Bottom of another incline and a less well preserved cart and turntable

Pulleys at top of incline

My blog page is Here

2. The Following User Says Thank You to the kwan For This Useful Post:

urban phantom (05-09-2012)

Thanks

Default Re: Rhosydd Slate mine and ghost village, wales, Sept 2012

Who's was the boat? The canoe shape one looks expensive!

"How come the compression is so bad on all those shots man? It looks like they've been edited with a Commodore 64." JST

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Who's was the boat? The canoe shape one looks expensive!
    Left there by cave and mining enthusiasts for cave and mine enthusiasts who do the Creosor/ rhosydd through crossing comprising zip wires, abseiles, water stretches and much more...lookey here http://www.mine-explorer.co.uk/mines...oesor_3308.pdf
    My blog page is Here

5. The Following User Says Thank You to the kwan For This Useful Post:

myke (18-09-2012)

Thanks

Brilliant stuff..
    Love your choice of song for the video!
    Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lisajane79 For This Useful Post:

the kwan (05-09-2012)

Thanks

very nice mate
    Ignorance is the only excuse

http://www.flickr.com/photos/urban_phantom/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to urban phantom For This Useful Post:

the kwan (05-09-2012)

Thanks

Fairplay takes some big cahooners to climb down there