Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Islip, Oxfordshire/Fallowfield, Manchester
    Thanks

Default Rossendale General Hospital, September 2012

Visited with Ptchaw.

Brilliant, truly exceptional, amazing are just some of the words that I can use to describe this place. Makes me even happier to think that 3 of the best explores I've ever done I've done this year! This place has been slandered, and written off as rubbish, and a turd of a place, but despite that there was always something that drew me toward the place. Whatever "it" was I don't know, but I liked "it". But nothing at all, absolutely nothing could have prepared me for what I was about to see today.

Access to the site itself was simply a walk in job, but with due respect security have done a relatively good job of securing the main buildings as a whole (outbuildings except the mortuary are wide open), so getting in was not a walk in. We found an extremely tight way into the boilerhouse, only to have a chair wedged in the gap between the building and the service tunnel. With a bit of persistence we shifted it though. An asbestos surveyor knocked the wall out, which enabled us to get into the laundry too.

Unfortunately the original boilers were removed and replaced with modern ones, which had also been partially stripped.

A map in the boilerhouse, for anyone who needs it. See my photostream for closeup.

Having seen his van and where he is located, we thought we heard security so we stayed put for 10 minutes or so, and we also heard a dog barking but to be fair there are plenty of dog walkers in the area, and it was windy so it probably wasn't him. Moving on, we did consider accessing the main block via the service tunnels, but these were flooded by about 3 inches of water. Whilst we considered stupid ideas like putting our legs in loads of clinical waste bags and storage boxes we decided it would be stupid and pointless so we made our way back out.

Walking round the front of the site, we noticed plenty of the security lights on, but no security. Making our way to the end, what's that? In one of the wards, we could hear an alarm blaring out! PIR? Fire alarm? Don't know. Either way it was clear that no-one was on site except us (doubt even security was there to be fair). Or was it?

All the windows on the ground floor, and some 1st floor windows were sheeted over with metal so we decide the only way in is by climbing. Not an easy climb, but we did it. Once we were inside, a load of lights were on. Worried security could be inside, I call OJ who's baffled that they're on. I'm not sure we're the first lot to crack this block, but we're definitely one of the first! So making our way on, constantly weary of security coming inside, we were absolutely STUNNED to find a mint operating theatre and LOADS and LOADS of furnishings left behind!

Whilst everything else worked, including the fans unfortunately the fuse had blown for the overhead lights.

Making our way on, I'm astounded to say the least that of all the people who've done the main block no-one has done this! Absolutely ZERO chav damage, just dents in the wall from asbestos surveyors!

This is the ward on which the alarm kept going off. Turns out it was a fault with the panel which meant the fire alarm would blare out incessantly and security could do nothing about it!

Minor surgery theatre

We did actually look for an entrance to the service tunnels again, just to get into the other buildings but although we found a basement and maintenance rooms we couldn't find a way unfortunately. We also tried getting through the external corridor, but this had been sheeted over with metal. Funny though, because we managed to get the automatic doors to open regardless! LOL!

As we made our way out, we thought we'd check out the mortuary but after the kaffufle this year, every entry has been boarded up, and the windows on the roof are intact so no access.

On a final note, I think without a shadow of a doubt, this is one of the best explores I have done. Ever. It's easily one of the best hospitals you can do in the UK, if not Europe even. Maybe. Fair enough, one may prefer the decay of for example, Mansfield General Hospital, but words fail me having seen this, and seeing urbexers write this off as utter rubbish. Sure, the main building isn't mint, but the site as a whole has plenty of urbex goodies to dig your teeth into and it's unfair to dismiss this when one hasn't seen all of it. I'm not sure this will be around for much longer, so if you want to see it, drop everything, pick up your camera and get in there!

Love as always,

TBM x

Islip, Oxfordshire/Fallowfield, Manchester
    Thanks

Default Re: Rossendale General Hospital, September 2012

Though I didn't choose to go in front of the camera, Ptchaw being as photogenic as he is thought he'd dress up for the occasion lol

On the other hand, it's near impossible to resist the temptation to take photos of yourself on something like this!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to True_British_Metal For This Useful Post:

matt7712345 (21-10-2012), urban phantom (27-09-2012)

Thanks

Nice one boss! Never seen that side of it!

Mental no ones done it before.

"How come the compression is so bad on all those shots man? It looks like they've been edited with a Commodore 64." JST

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clough For This Useful Post:

True_British_Metal (30-10-2012)

Thanks

Looks mint, said it before wished I did this place while in the area
    BLOG I SPLORE WHERE NO MAN HAS SPLORED BEFORE

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mr beardy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Good to see the un-shit bit Anders.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jST For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Gotta say that IS pretty sweet
    'MARK MY DICKING WORDS' - Derphouse, Aug 12
    Flickr Website

11. The Following User Says Thank You to birdinanaviary For This Useful Post:

Thanks

nice work
    Ignorance is the only excuse

http://www.flickr.com/photos/urban_phantom/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to urban phantom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Cracking stuff, wish we had made an effort now here. Feel a rooooaaaaadddd trrrriiiippp coming on!

A picture is not a picture without no depth of feeling....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ROYALBOB For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Great stuff!
    why are the good places soooooooo far away from me!
    Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lisajane79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Cool as fook. Cheers for sharing.
    Forget The Darkside - I'm Mr Brightside!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to yorkietommo For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast