Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Arrow Rooftopping St Augustine's Abbey Church - Ramsgate - DECEMBER 2012

There has been scaffolding up here for quite some time, and it was obvious some brilliant views could be had from the top! So I set out one cold December night, found my way to bottom of the ladder, and began climbing. There was a PIR about 20 feet up, which turned out not to be connected to anything - so I carried on until I reached the turreted roof. It was a great spot to sit (when out of view) and enjoy the unique views!

The church is opposite a monastery - here's a snippet of history quoted from pugin.com:

"This is a Grade 1 listed building of as much historic value as The Grange next door. Despite having a private chapel in his house, Pugin built St. Augustine's for himself. It was begun in 1844, Pugin made only one plan for the building and this was where the foundations should be. From then on it grew out of a passion for the endeavour.
    The construction ceased from time to time since funds frequently ran out and Pugin would only use the best materials. He had stone bought from Whitby, as well as using local flint.

The church was not finished at Pugin's death and the outside wall next to the road was only at waist height and approximately ten foot long. However this was completed by his eldest son Edward who was also an architect."

Enjoy the photographs!

Thanks for looking!
    "With insomnia, nothing's real. Everything's far away. Everything's a copy of a copy of a copy."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Flyboy For This Useful Post:

the kwan (02-01-2013)