Thanks

Default Smallcleaugh lead mine Nenthead

After about a weeks rain of biblical proportions on our HidefromXmas holiday up in Cumbria we decided to head off to Nenthead to shelter from the rain underground ...
    There was as much water underground as there was above BUT we enjoyed ourselvs none the less.
    Smallcleaugh is pretty vast with plenty of deep sumps and slippy bits/roofs of death/semi collapsed sections along with some water that can reach CWD (Critical welloe depth) resulting in soggy socks for the duration ...as well as plenty of potentially getting killed to death.

A short potted history from T'internet

Smallcleugh Mine started in around 1770, looking for the continuation of Hanginshaw's West of Nent Vein, but this was soon abandoned. In 1787 the work was restarted by an agent for the London Lead Company along the Smallcleugh Cross Vein which produced an immense quantity of ore. There where also many other rich veins worked from Smallcleugh - Middlecleugh (and 1st and 2nd Sun Veins), Longcleugh, and Great Cross. The mine over the years was also worked by the Nenthead and Tynedale Lead and Zinc Company and Vieille Montagne Zinc Company. Most of the operations in Smallcleugh had come to an end around the 1900's. In 1963 the mine was briefly reopened in pursuit of new ore reserves, but little large scale mining took place. A famous occurrence at the mine was the dinner party held down it. On September 2nd 1901, 28 members of the local Masonic branch held a dinner down the mine in a large stope know today as the Ballroom Flat.

It is often assumed that Smallcleugh Mine extends all the way to Bogg Shaft and beyond, as these are reached via the Smallcleugh portal, however Smallcleugh originally only went as far as the Longcleugh Vein past the Ballroom, and the beginnings of the Middlecleugh Vein and Middlecleugh Second Sun Vein. The area past this which covers Carr's Cross Vein, Cow Hill Cross Vein, Barron's Sump Chamber and beyond are is in fact a separate mine called Longcleugh Mine, which was originally worked by shafts.

Nice chat with a old bloke who's Dad had worked in Smallcleugh years ago ...on the way back down and was telling us of hopes of development in the strata deeper down which could kickstart mining again in the area ...which would be very gratefully received by the locals s: s:

Brrrrap'ford brap brap brap brap brap brap brap
    Thanks

Default Re: Smallcleaugh lead mine Nenthead

Looks well good! i like it

flickr my bean

Thanks

Like it lots, it looks like a good mooch about! thanks for posting it up.
    My blog page is Here

Thanks

You explore with your lass? You look like your having fun. Like your stuff keep it up mate, it looks like a mega death trap!

Our lass banned me from em after I got suspected radon poisoning, I don't mind sticking to that rule they look uber sketchy!

"How come the compression is so bad on all those shots man? It looks like they've been edited with a Commodore 64." JST

Thanks

Cheers ...she loves the pretties/minerals ...and i love the old rusty machinery ...Best of both worlds LOL

I consider myself VERY lucky that she is happy exploring with me AND loves old Landrovers too (3 between us) To be honest that one's not much of a death trap as long as you dont slip down a deep sump ...some with flooded false floored areas are a lot worse OR big chambers with "hanging death"

Thanks

Looks good
    Not into small mines myself
    Too scary so good work
    'MARK MY DICKING WORDS' - Derphouse, Aug 12
    Flickr Website