Thanks

Default Wellington Mill / Knoll mill, Greenfield, Oldham, march 2013

Visited with marasden1002

This is our second explore of the day out of 3

This was just a quick explore we was in and out within 30 mins or so, we popped under the fence then we was in. The mill was just a shell of its former self nothing much in there at all, but it was still a good mooch around I enjoyed looking inside

Here is the history of the mill

The Wellington/Knoll Mill complex was a huge site, but the majority of site was demolished early in 2010 and a Tesco store built; this opened in December 2010. Much of the historical features of the site which Tesco promised to preserve have gone, for some reason one original mill building remained on the site. Wellington Mill had been up for sale for the last year and has just been recently bought by a local business man.

Wellington Mills in Greenfield, Saddleworth was built in 1852 for Shaw, Son and Lees cotton Spinners who traded until 1858 and were the succeeded by N Broadbent and Sons until 1932 after which the buildings were left unused for 6 years. 1938 saw part of the buildings used as a general engineering works and in 1941 the rest of the premises were opened up with the installation of 362 looms by the fabric weaver B. Kershaw.

In the years up to 1946 the engineering section of the mill produced engine parts for bombers after which it became first a naval store and then a store for the British Wool Board. In 1946 the buildings and land were purchased by William Oddy who transferred their woolen carding and mule spinning operations form Shipley to the mill. This was the birth of the Knoll Spinning Company.

NEW KNOLL MILL

Last week a public meeting was arranged to discuss ideas for a mill refurbishment in Greenfield. The building has been unused for some time and it has now been acquired by new owners who live locally, and it is their intention to completely refurbish the mill to accommodate uses that are compatible with the area, in particularly taking advantage of the location next to the new Tesco store. The mill has been renamed New Knoll to retain part of the original mill name and to mark a new point in the mill's development history.

At this stage they have no firm ideas as to what the likely uses are to be but would envisage splitting the building into units, large and small, to provide rental units servicing a mixed set of local requirements. They envisage that craft, retail uses, office accommodation, personal and professional services and health related uses but are open to suggestions.

Here are my pictures I hope you enjoy

Thanks for looking and i hope you liked my pics
    exploring in manchester ?
    give me a SHOUT!!!

tomos25@live.co.uk

Thanks

Default Re: Wellington Mill / Knoll mill, Greenfield, Oldham, march 2013

i checked this place out after a fail at the paper mill - nice pics - i only took some random video clips from ipod didn't have my camera with, but good stuff mate!

Thanks

Default Re: Wellington Mill / Knoll mill, Greenfield, Oldham, march 2013

Not much left of it now. Tesco didn't bother to preserve much! Is the funeral directors bit still there?