The Famine Church 'aka' The Church of Giants
Visited with: Venustas, Shane and Miz Firestorm
Visit Date: February 2015

Please Note: Entry is always through an open access point and not by forcing our way in….. We are explorers, not vandals.

My Visit
This was the second location of the day out of 3 successful explores and it is by far my favourite of the day. Even though this place is decayed to a level that is almost beyond repair it still holds the most character and charm out of the 3 locations. As you can probably tell I am so glad we got to see the beauty that is ‘The Church of Giants’

So let me start out by saying that this location is by far the hardest entry I have ever come across. The Church of Giants does not want to give up her secrets easily. After a good hour of searching we finally found an open access point and was instantly rewarded for our determination.

I do however have to give a shout out to the one from the group who worked so hard to get us all in safely, he was knackered by the time we entered and he must have lost about 3 lb in sweat! Cheers mate you are the man!

Anyway, on with the photos…. This is the sight that greeted us.

Venustas hard at work.

Tucked away in a small side room is the Baptism font.

This was one of 5 confession chambers!

Some of the carvings are in very good shape, however others are virtually Dust. On the second photo below here you will see an example of this decay.

Now what do you think of the ceiling? Awesome right?

Before leaving we had to get a group shot just to show the size of this place and the reason we also dubbed Famine Church with the name 'The Church of Giants'

More images available on flickr
The images above are just a small selection of the images I have edited. I will be adding lots more photos from photos on my Flickr page which can be found here, https://www.flickr.com/photos/119757413@N07/

Final thoughts
To me the Church had it all, decay, stonework, character, charm, stained glass, pigeons the lot. I really enjoyed my time here and would happily go back even with the fact that it is very hard work to get inside, however, it is worth the effort. I just hope I have done the place justice in my photos.

Thanks for reading,

Dugie