Thanks

Default Priory House and Shelter Pontefract Nov 2015

The Priory House (white house) Pontefract With only living 10 minutes away from this place and after reading about some
    possible tunnels I had to take a look.
    The house was owner by someone called John Holmes who got in to some financial trouble and had to leave the place behind.
    Before this the house was known for having garden partys with the garden stretching back to include a small wooded area.
    A few year back homeless and drug users seemed to spend time in here and there was a murder enquiry after someone set fire to
    them selfs I think it turned out in the end.
    The fire took the roof off and since then the rain has caused everything to become not very safe.
    Flowers were left on the stairs iam guessing this is where the lad died.There was also some grave stones in the garage
    which I cant explain why or what they are doing there.
    As for the tunnel and underground room that was dug out by Frank H.W. Holmes following from his own website
    It was in 1938 that I joined the Air Raid Precautions Organisation, taking up first-aid, and in the same year, by my recollections of first war experience, I began digging a shelter in the Priory Wood. The site proved unsatisfactory and I abandoned it. In the spring of 1939 I commenced operations nearer to the house, but soon reached hard rock. Hand work was useless, so after much enquiry, I organised conversion of a Jowett van to serve as an air compressor, procured an air-pick, and (with a negligible amount of assistance, all voluntary) ultimately attained a shelter with fifteen steps down from the surface, eleven more in a second flight, and a passage twenty feet long at the bottom, all of it in rock and not less than six feet high. It is still there today.
    full story here http://www.pontefractus.co.uk/memori..._fholmes04.htm

outside shot

stairs

hoover

doorway to celler

celler

shoe

kitchen

living room

flowers on stairs

upstairs

toilet

Tunnel and Air Raid Shelter
    my wellys

first look down the tunnel

bottom of first tunnel sharp left

room at bottom

room again

fire

looking back up

look back down

Thanks

Default Re: Priory House and Shelter Pontefract Nov 2015

Been all over the land most of the tunnels have been filled in the priory. Been down the tunnel you found there were 2 wooden blocks with tin reflectors with candles on the stone shelf when I last visited.
    There are tunnels on dark lane but most are on private land now. there is also an airaid shelter opposite mill hill stores nearby but its been bricked up.
    Dont think the owner of the house had financial troubles believe he died. and his son has it up for sale.

ps are you the wappy from ponty cruise?? a few years back

Thanks

Default Re: Priory House and Shelter Pontefract Nov 2015

yeah pal moved on from cars now lol