Thanks

Arrow Griffe Mill, near Haworth 02-01-2009

This was a re-visit of a site I went to have a look at a few months back. I first spotted this place earlier in the year when I was driving back from Ivy Bank Mill in Haworth. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of a chimney, way down the bottom of the valley. Having nowhere to stop as it was a narrow road, I thought I’d look for a road at the bottom of a steep valley, but there wasn’t one, just a stream.

Anyway, later on I checked out Google earth and found what looked like a ruin, so I went to have a look. It's right down the bottom of a valley which means it's a walk down a steep hill from where ever you park your car. The first visit was cut short due to lack of access - not so much finding access, but whenever I stepped inside, there was an almighty buzzing noise from what sounded like a million wasps So I decided to come back when it was a bit colder, and they'd all died.

History – the mill was built in the early 19th century and by 1850 was a worsted mill. The mill shut in 1928, and appears to have been derelict ever since. Mind you when you consider the lack of access (down a steep path that is now a field), it’s probably no surprise as getting coal and wool to it must have been fraught with difficulties, especially in winter. The weaving shed at the side was more recently used by a shooting club who built a small breeze block structure to shoot out of.

This is how it used to look. I don't think it's possible to take this picture any more as the trees by the river hide the building from view.

http://www.haworth-village.org.uk/hi...ge.asp?pic=122

External from within the weaving shed

Iron pipe - this was obscured from view on the first visit - not sure if it was for taking steam up from the boilers, or for taking water down from the mill pond above, down to the water wheel / turbine. The wheel was at some time replaced by a water turbine. Some steam power was added about 1895 but water power was used to the end. A gas engine had been put in by 1923. This was apparently fed from a mains supply at Oldfield not from the mill's own gas plant - the remains of the gas holder can still be seen.

'Internal' shots

And back outside

The area to the right of this picture was once the mill pond. This was fed by a goit from the river.

My rather poor attempt at a landscape shot - not easy as the place is kind of obscured by nature

Thanks

Default Re: Griffe Mill, near Haworth 02-01-2009

That looks a great place. Nice photographs and almost looks like a Constable landscape on the penultimate one.

Thanks

nice pictures mate your second pic is ace , it amazes me where trees will grow

Thanks

Lovely stuff mate, could you by any chance PM me a location.

Nice photos and a great location.

Thanks

Nice pics mate..
    And I don't blame you with the wasps the first time round, I HATE them!
    I'd be out of there in a shot if I saw just one!

Thanks

Well done spotting the chimney.

Nice report and pics