Thanks

Arrow Avro Vulcan XH558 January 09

Driving through Leicestershire and came across signs for Bruntingthorpe. So on the off chance decided to visit the Aerodrome and luck was on my side as hangar tours were being given.

So I tagged along on one of the tours showing the last flying Vulcan in the world, the XH558. The group I was in only had six, so I had enough time to have a good look at the plane.

A brief history of the plane:

XH558 was the twelfth Vulcan B2 built and first flew in 1960 and was delivered to No. 230 Operational Conversion Unit RAF at RAF Waddington on 1 July 1960. Almost immediately the aircraft moved with 230 OCU to RAF Finningley where the aircraft spent some 8 years before returning to Lincolnshire in 1968. The aircraft was converted to a B2(MRR) in 1973 and to an air-to-air refuelling variant K2 in 1982. It was returned to standard B2 configuration in 1985 and was the last Vulcan in service. From 1986 to 1992 it was the RAF's display aircraft.

After service with the Royal Air Force the aircraft was sold to C.Walton Limited and delivered by air to Bruntingthorpe on the 23 March 1993. The aircraft was kept in a serviceable condition and would undertake fast taxi runs along Bruntingthorpe's main runway.

More information can be found here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Vulcan_XH558

Apoliges for picture quality as I didnt have the best camera with me

Anyway, on with the pics:

A look at the massive underbelly of the plane, the mass of the delta wing is enormous when up close.

A view of the cockpit from the outside.

One of the original engines of the plane, stripped out due to damage.

The back of the plane with engine covers to prevent damage.

Rear of the plane, the opening to the left was where the secret jamming equipment was installed, now empty. XH558 is now classed as a civilian plane

A view of the radar/navigators position from the inside of a demo cockpit which a member of staff takes you into and gives a talk on the controls etc. Well worth seeing as I had an ex Vulcan crew member, talking about his experiences of the plane.

Official website:
    http://www.vulcantothesky.org/

Thanks for viewing
    Last edited by Tankman; 26-08-2011 at 10:26 PM.
    Waiting for a war that never happened....

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİ

Visit http://therocproject.webs.com/

Corrosion= Rust = Decay= Bunkerkid

☻/
    /▌
    / \