Craig Dunain asylum is the northern district lunatic asylum, the most northerly in the UK. People from all over the highlands and outer hebrides were sent here, so in that respect, I guess it could also have had the widest catchment area too.
Opened in 1864, it is Scotland's third oldest DISTRICT asylum. It's got a fantastic design, in the corridor plan, with towers that can be seen far in to the distance. Staff I have spoke to since it's closure have had mixed views on the place. For some, the experience of working here was a lot to deal with.
Last year, it hit the local news when arsonists destroyed the central part of hte building, causing an estimated £5million of damage.
I have been told that the building was in fact a nunnery long before it became an asylum, however there is a definite hint of shit along with this story. Perhaps it was built on the site of a nunnery.
Anyway, the exploration was great fun - despite no more than a quarter remaining untouched there was still a fair ammount to see. also on the site are the modern chapel, boiler house, superintendents house, a villa and some other small service buildings.

The photos are a bit dodgey, but this was my first explore with my new camera so was still getting the hang of it.

Visited with lost and 8333696

A ward and seclusion cells

dentist

This ward is rumoured to be 'haunted'

Corridor

lower wards

A private laundry. This used to be the old ECT room. Former nurse's recall patients queing up here to get their treatment. It was carried out quite regimentally.

laundry buildings