Thanks

Arrow raf/usaf thorpe abbotts,norfolk.feb 09

built for the raf late in 1942 as a satellite to horham,but because of the build up of the 8th air force it was handed over to the americans in mid 1943.the 100th bombardment group flew the b-17 flying fortress out of this base,the base was handed back to the raf in 1946,after many years of inactivity the base was closed in 1956,the land handed back and that was that,kinda sad really,this base is spread over a very large area,not much remains but boy was it fun finding it ,start with the control tower which is preserved as a museum.

command bunker

exposed air raid shelters

shower blocks and other bits and bobs

i like to keep my spanners in order
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/oneandsix/sets/

Thanks

Default Re: raf/usaf thorpe abbotts,norfolk.feb 09

Nice post fella that was a great find, your photos are tops. Wonder if any of the good folks can tell us what the big building with no windows just air vents in is? We have come over these buildings before.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonix View Post
    Nice post fella that was a great find, your photos are tops. Wonder if any of the good folks can tell us what the big building with no windows just air vents in is? We have come over these buildings before.
    yeah that will be the 5th from last shot,no windows one single normal size door if anyone has any ideas please let us know
    Last edited by oneandsix; 19-02-2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: weak writing skills

Thanks

Love it, fantastic stuff. I grew up round there mate and as a kid we played on the old control tower long before the Bomb Group restored it. There also used to be a plane there you could mess around in but that's long gone now, big bomber style plane.

The command bunker is in the woods just to the left of the tower and was another fave childhood haunt.

Most of the runway is now gone but back in 1987 I learned to drive on it. The other bits and bobs are scattered round the woods. The place was huge when I was a kid but the Billingford Estate gradually pulled up the strip and destroyed the buildings.

Great suff and thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingElvis View Post
    Love it, fantastic stuff. I grew up round there mate and as a kid we played on the old control tower long before the Bomb Group restored it. There also used to be a plane there you could mess around in but that's long gone now, big bomber style plane.

The command bunker is in the woods just to the left of the tower and was another fave childhood haunt.

Most of the runway is now gone but back in 1987 I learned to drive on it. The other bits and bobs are scattered round the woods. The place was huge when I was a kid but the Billingford Estate gradually pulled up the strip and destroyed the buildings.

Great suff and thanks.
    our pleasure when we walking around i said to si your were local to this place,the command bunker is awesome and reallly needs to be saved

Thanks

There is also a nice restored pillbox in Dickleburgh just down the road a mile or so.

Quite a bit left up at Tibenham airfield but mostly it has been converted by the gliding club.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mexico75 View Post
    Nice find, I think the building you are talking about is the de-contamination block, I might be wrong though.
    yeah si said it could be that,its sat right next to the shower block.
    ke,on our approach there was a glider just being towed out of tibenham,looked cool,dont know if you get me up in one of them,no engines etc,etc