Thanks

Arrow Strathmartine Hospital/Baldovan Asylum Ward 12 + Admin, Aug/Sept 09

I start Uni next week so have been enjoying my last few quiet midweek explores before having to knuckle down and juggle doing a degree and keeping working an accounts/admin job.

This was my second and third visits to the site, big thanks to the man Skin for a bit of chat on access and the like, he seems to be unstoppable just now with new posts here and on his Flickr stream nearly every day!!! Kudos.

Anyway, this one is pretty local (about 20-30 miles of nice country drive) for me so I've nipped over a few times when I've had a bit of spare time and the weather hasn't been too terrible.

As with my last visit, I had a thorough scout around all the buildings, but didn't see anything I felt looked like a valid point of ingress. I did come across the oft visited little mortuary (clearly used by the airsoft people), a garage building attached to the workshops and found a few interesting bits of signage/art around the grounds. I found the pool building but access was all but impossible for me with the kit I had (and not having Skin's magical flying abilities!).

Ward 12 or 12a (I think, I'm not even entirely sure it is a 12) is the middle of the three modern wards that were added between 1963-65. As with Windyridge from my other report, pretty severely trashed, although the building was split into 2 wards with rooms along the back rather than the smaller 6 bed wards of my previous visit.

Directly on entering you see a sun faded and time ravaged piece of art still hanging in a skylight of the reception area.

The wards are separated by a central office.

Then onto the wards themselves.

There were very few artifacts lying around, but a solitary bedside lamp was still mounted in perfect condition. A sad looking beaker and old comb were among the few things of note.

A few of the the toilets and sinks were unsmashed but by no means serviceable.

There were several kitchen areas throughout, all in similarly bad condition.

Despite it being sodden and trashed, I still managed to lose a couple of hours just poking around and absorbing the general feel fo the place. Back out to the real world.

On leaving, I'd enjoyed my time but had the frustration of an itch that needed to be scratched - Admin and the Theatre/Dining Hall. So, a day off and a break from what has felt like constant rain for weeks combined with the ongoing itch and I decided today was the day to go for my last explore before Uni starts. There was no question where I was heading.

I'm not really a comfortable climber but I juggled some kit and manned up and here I was, the sort of long, decaying corridors I dream about. This block has been done plenty so I'll just post up my pics without much waffle. I managed to disturb a pair of massive owls who were roosting in one of the low, false ceilings inside which sort of flew at my head on the way, leaving me bit more on edge for the rest of the explore than usual. Serves me right for poking about mind you.

I think this is my favourite corridor shot to date.

I'm glad this fire alarm was here as it acted as my breadcrumb trail to remind me how to get back the way I'd come in.

Sorry this was a mile long, thanks for looking, more pics are in my Flickr sets from last week and today.
    Last edited by Erstlaub; 01-09-2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: errors and omissions (read stupidity)