Thanks

Arrow The Derelict Mayfield Railway Station, Manchester, Oct '09

Been eyeing this one for a while, finally got around to doing it.

Drove over as the first of 2 sites that day, first to do was this 'un. Arrived just before dawn, & No sooner than i applied my parking lever at the carpark, was interrupted by a Lady of the night (The area's in the Red light district) giving me that ol' Cliche "You got the time?" followed by her usual offers. Was polite about it but told her no, cos i had a train to catch & was in a hurry (any old excuse!) I let her sit in the car a while i got me a parking ticket, as she was saying how she needed a sit down after standing up for so long!

Well, after that encounter, made my way up into the target via the south face, here's a bit of wiki about it for those not aware:
    Opened on 8 August 1910 by the London & North Western Railway, Manchester Mayfield was built alongside Manchester London Road station (later Piccadilly) to handle the increased number of trains and passengers following the opening of the Styal Line in 1909. It was connected to London Road via a high-level footbridge. It was mainly used by suburban services to the south of Manchester, but a number of main line services used it during busy periods.

Mayfield suffered the effects of bombing during World War II, when it was hit by a land mine (parachute mine). It came into its own for a brief period during the electrification and modernisation of what was to become Piccadilly Station in the late 1950s, when many services were diverted to it after a restoration of sorts. It was closed to passengers on 28 August 1960.

Use as a goods station
    The site was converted into a parcels depot which opened on 6 July 1970. Royal Mail constructed a sorting office on the opposite side of the main line and connected it to Mayfield with an overhead conveyor bridge which crosses the throat of Piccadilly Station. The depot closed in 1986 following the decision by Parcelforce, Royal Mail's parcels division, to abandon rail transport in favour of road haulage. The building has remained disused ever since, with the tracks into Mayfield removed in 1989 as part of the remodeling of the Piccadilly Station layout. The sorting office was briefly reused as an indoor karting track, but has now been rebuilt as prestige offices; the parcel conveyor bridge was removed in 2003.

Disuse
    The site is currently owned by BRB Residuary. The interior of the station was used in Prime Suspect as a drug dealer's haunt. It was also used as a double for Sheffield railway station in The Last Train.The roadside building was gutted by a fire in 2005.
    The Platforms:

Buffers, & big they were too!:

Station Concourse:

Old signal Lamp:

Roof gone thanks to the *^*&*^ who set it alight:

Fireplace:

Office space:

Manchester Picadilly across the road:

Network Rail offices across the streets:

Garden Roof:

Didn't do much of the entrance at the East, as Network rail vans were on constant patrol up & down the access ramp at the north.

More at the links below:

Youtube Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-4ph3jRcG4

Flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1247043...7622521953370/
    Last edited by Moodster020; 05-10-2009 at 07:28 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Moodster020 For This Useful Post:

SmileySal (06-03-2011)