Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Arrow ICI/Nobel Explosives, Ardeer, Mar-Sept 2009

Founded in 1871 by Mr Alfred Nobel in order to produce his shiny new invention, Dynamite. The business then grew and moved onto the production of other explosives such as blasting gelatine, gelignite, ballistite, guncotton, and cordite. The workforce grew until it reached a peak of nearly 13,000 employees. In 1926 the result of a merge between Brunner, Mond & Company, the United Alkali Company, and the British Dyestuffs Corporation with Nobel Industries LTD resulted in the creation of ICI. The site was descirbed as the worlds largest explosives facotry, more like a town than a factory with an on-site bank, travel agent and dentist. A train station was once present to which transported workers to and from the factory. A nitric acid plant was built in the 1960's but was only operational for 12 years before being decommisioned, a large cooling tower was to be found in this area but this was destroyed during bad weather.

All production has now been centralised to a smaller part of the site leaving a lot of the old buildings lying disused and abandoned...

Photos are from visits between March and September.

The Bunkers

One of the bunkers from outside

Switchgear

Equipment

Emergency Instructions

"ICI EXPLOSIVES - AEROSPACE & AUTOMOTIVE RESEARCH

NOTICE TO VISITORS AND STAFF
    EMERGENCY PROCEDURES - BUILDING WPP3

SITE TOXIC GAS ALARM
    FIRE ALARM SOUNDING
    AN ACCIDENT REQUIRING AN AMBULANCE

SITE TOXIC GAS ALARM
    This is a siren alarm, when heard you should proceed immediate to the GAS SHELTER, for this is located in the Garnock West farm house. The way to the shelter is indicated by white arrows on a green background with the door to the gas shelter marked with EMERGENCY GAS SHELTER in white on a green background. Do not leave the gas shelter until the alarm has stopped, and the person in charge allows you to leave.

FIRE ALARM
    This is a loud klaxon

If you discover a fire immediately inform a member of the department who will set off the fire alarm and call the fire brigade.

If the fire alarm sounds leave the building immediately by the nearest safe exit and proceed to the FIRE ASSEMBLY AREA, for WPP3 this is located in front of Garnock West farm house, and is marked with a sign of a white circle on a green background.

AN ACCIDENT REQUIRING AN AMBULANCE
    The ambulance point for WPP3 - No. 19 - is located at the front of Garnock West farm house.

From the manual labled 'ENERGETIC POLYMERS DRAFT-MANUFACTURING METHODS' "

Corridors which run along the spine of each bunker, motors would have sat here which would have operated Tangye presses in the rooms in which they are connected to

One of the presses

Another Corridor

The Mixing houses

Nitroglycerine vats, notice the holes in the wall, should anything go wrong water would have been pumped through these flooding the entire mixing area

Small building used to load/unload materials onto the carts which ran on the many miles of narrow guage rail track connecting the whole site

The Laboratories
    Between this and the first visit I got a new camera, as a result...better pictures

Test vault

Viewing corridor

Outside labs from 'The Street'

Plate cameras, hooked up to a unit which would have allowed the cameras to shoot one after the other allowing the caputre of a detonation

Large mortar to test the power of explosives.

Inside one of the labs

Monitoring equipment

Archive room, probably my favourite part of this whole site, full of photographs and records of experiments, the outcomes and details of world first pioneering research for explosives and methods used today can be found in here, shaped charges for example used in modern demolition and warheads were discovered and created here.

The Power Station
    An industrial gem, a giant in comparison to all the other smaller buildings here. It generated electricity for the facility and steam which was distributed throughout the site in insulated pipes for heating..Had a peak output of around 16MW

External

In the belly of the beast

I was expecting an air tight chamber with a big blast door, flashing lights, gas masks and hazmat suits..instead it was only a make shift staff room with double glazing and a pretty normal wooden door, you can only imagine the dissapointment...

Boiler faces

Turbines

Up and into the boiler towers

At the top of the boilers

Some juicy control panel goodness

Switchroom

Underneath one of the boilers

Control panels in the tiny control room

Coming back down, time to go home

Eventually after 4 visits to the site I had seen enough to produce a report. Despite this future visits are in order as there's still a significant portion of the site to be visited....

Thanks for taking the time to have a look

Thanks

Default Re: ICI/Nobel Explosives, Ardeer, Mar-Sept 2009

That is good. I like the control panel photographs.

trencheel303 Guest

Awesome pics and report, I *need* to get up here, soon...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pincheck View Post
    very nice mate shame it didn't come off on friday but never mind
    Cheers mate, aye bloody weather haha. Hopefully it'll clear up soon for round two

Thanks

Cracking report
    The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never any use to oneself.

Thanks

Nice stuff pyro - its worth the forest treck - the labs are still my favourite part
    My Flickr

The treasure we take is captured in images not bags

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pincheck View Post
    almost the same layout as Carrongrove Papermills power plant same manufacturer
    Haha aye I remember thats the first thing you said when we stepped in here

Cheer Skin, yeah the labs are fantastic. Think I'll settle down in the archives and have a good read on the next visit.
    Last edited by Pyroninja; 18-01-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Thanks

Hahaha aye exactly...

trencheel303 Guest

that is if his book doesn't get every UE-able site in Scotland locked up and guarded with cameras, lasers and hounds

Thanks

Nice pics there. Good to see the Cooper virus is being kept at bay. I've heard it's more lethal than swine flu.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast