Thanks

Arrow HMS Ganges, Shotley, Suffolk, 01/2010

History
    The name HMS Ganges came into service in 1779 when 3 vessels were presented to the navy by the Honourable East India company. One of them was the Bengal built on the Thames at Blackwall which was re-named HMS Ganges. She was broken up in 1816.

Her successor built in Bombay was launched on 10th November 1821, subsequently arriving at Portsmouth in October 1822.

After various commissions HMS Ganges was commissioned as the flag-ship of Rear Admiral R L Bayes on the Pacific Station and left for the Pacific in September 1857. On return to England in 1861 HMS Ganges entered the history book as being the last sailing ship to be a sea going flag-ship

In 1866 HMS Ganges became the boys' training ship anchored in Falmouth harbour where she remained until August 1899. In November 1899 HMS Ganges was transferred to Harwich harbour.

HMS Ganges remained in Harwich harbour as a boys' training ship and in 1905 the boys moved ashore for their training, which continued at Shotley until 1976.

Visited with Begood and Tom46
    After visiting Sugar Factory in Ipswich we had HMS Ganges on the list. First come across this place when my dad popped in coming back from my nans. He trained here in the navy. The buildings are pretty basic inside apart from the swimming pool which is the nuts. Access is fun when your with two people who can’t climb , Here are the pictures hope you enjoy it

This is one of two water towers on site

Ladder leading down inside

Below

Small concrete post

Swimming pool

Main doors

Pool

Depth

Steps

Changing room

Mast in 1977

Mast very rotten

Thanks

Default Re: HMS Ganges, Shotley, Suffolk, 01/2010

Quote Originally Posted by flat-4 View Post
    looks a it martello tower-esque i know its not but that was my first thought
    it is actually! Martello M and Martello L are at HMS Ganges, and both had water towers built on top of them.