History

In 1698 an Exchange was built to accommodate the city's administrators. This building burnt down in 1862. A competition was held to build a new town hall and this was won by William Henry Lynn of Belfast. The building cost £40,000 and was officially opened by the future King Edward VII on 14 October 1869. The council chamber was gutted by fire in 1897 and was redesigned internally by T. M. Lockwood in 1898.

Architecture

The hall is built in banded pink and buff sandstone with a grey-green slate roof. The building is symmetrical, in ten bays, and in the Ruskinian Gothic Revival style, applying features of late 13th-century Gothic architecture to a modern use. Above the central two bays is a tower which terminates with gables and a short diagonal spire. The spire rises to a height of 160 feet (49 m). The building has a semi-basement, two main storeys and a dormer attic. The entrance is approached by two opposed flights of steps. Above the porch are four sculptures in Bath stone depicting episodes from the history of the city.

The town hall is currently covered in scaffolding for repair and restoration work and presented an irresistible opportunity to see views over my home city that probably wont be possible again for a long, long time... I've only ever seen one photo from the top of the spire taken in the 1950's so Ridds, Sick and myself went up to grab a few more.

View over the Odeon and Northgate St

The cathederal and St Werburgh St (Spot the 5-0!)

The Forum shopping center

The bus station

Bell tower

Clock faces
North

East

south.. there is no clock on this face, the story goes that as it faces wales, the English wouldn't give the welsh the time of day... The truth is simply down to lack of funds at the time so only 3 faces were added. There is talk at the moment of adding the 4th.

West

Ridds taking in the view

I dont normaly find high stuff that attractive but sat up there with the live band playing in one of the pubs below watching the world go by was pretty cool! 8-)