Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Arrow Tower Colliery, Hirwaun

The Last Deep Mine in South Wales

Tower Colliery was the oldest continuously operated deep coal mine in Britain. Located on the northern fringe of South Wales coal field the seams were so close to the surface that they could be drift mined from the surface and the first drift at tower was driven in 1864, the mine was named after the nearby folly Crawshay's Tower.

In 1941 tower became a deep mine when a 160m shaft was driven down to the workings, from its completion in 1943 right up until the mines last shift it was used as the return up cast airway and for transporting men to the face more quickly. The colliery surface buildings including the Winding house, offices, fan house, pit head and bath house are perhaps the only surviving war time colliery buildings and are necessarily utilitarian.

The Headgear

Tower reached its final form in 1958 when the tower No3 drift was driven into the No4 workings to become the main intake airway and for conveying coal to the surface to be treated in a new Coal Preparation Plant.

The Pit Bank

Tower's was a rather unremarkable mine for most of the 20th centaury it survived the post miners strike closures of 1985 by merging with Maerdy Colliery in the Rhondda. An underground link was driven between the two and Maerdy's coal was brought to the surface at Tower from 1986 onwards. This arrangement lasted only 4 years, As British Coal was prepared for privatisation, Every remaining pit in Wales including Tower-Maerdy were declared uneconomic and British coal announced their intention to close them all Tower's turn came on the 22nd of April 1994.

The Winding House

The Colliery’s NUM Branch Secretary Tyrone O'Sullivan organised 239 miners in to the TEBO (Tower Employees Buy-Out), with each pledging £8,000 from their redundancy payments to buy their colliery. Against stiff opposition form the government a price of £2million was eventually agreed and the miners marched back to the pit on January 2, 1995.

The Pit Head Baths

By the time of the buyout the only seam worked at Tower was the Seven Feet/Five Feet, a combined seam of several leaves which offered 1.3m of anthracite in a mined section of 1.65m. The seams produced good quality coking coal washed on site then shipped to the PowerStation at Aberthaw. The workers were successful in operating the mine at a profit but as the seam was exhausted all other alternatives for extending the mines life seemed uneconomic. Work switched to the reserves of coal left on the north of the edge of the working to protect the shaft a move which spelled the end of tower as a workable deep mine. the last shift was worked on 18 January, 2008 and the official closure of the colliery occurred on 25 January.

No man riding anymore.

The colliery still sits awaing redevlopment but the headgear and winding house sould survive at the very least.
    Last edited by sinnerman; 11-05-2010 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Tower Colliery, Hirwaun

Was this the one Snappel ventured to on the day of closure and toook all the candid photos? looks like a good little wander that place, not to much damage!
    www.thetimechamber.co.uk - History:Photography:Music

This production does not contain any references to 'the bird'

Thanks

yeah this is the one Snapple covered that was a nice bit of work. Its in such good condition beacuse the miners still look after it they own it after all. When i wisited with Wolfism on the weekend we ran in to one asked to take some photos and were anwsered "well your in now boys stay around here and i'll be back" when he reappeared he opened the winding house for us highlight of the days mine tour.

Thanks

Always a pleasure to read your reports sinnerman, especially your collierys with headgear shots!
    Excellent work

glad that the guy you bumped into was so courteous!
    "It looks like its an awful long way down.........................Ouch.... actually, its not that far"!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mexico75 View Post
    They're head stocks actually
    amatuer

Thanks

i typed that into google and some home made videos have come up so it must be spelt right, now i'm off to watch some videos

Thanks

Its almost got a museum like quality.
    Saviour of the sporran

Thanks

Its still a nice place to visit if you rock up they will take you in for a tour, they stress to you about methane levels, but you can sign a wavier and go down, there was a trip run last week from another forum.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
    yeah this is the one Snapple covered that was a nice bit of work. Its in such good condition beacuse the miners still look after it they own it after all. When i wisited with Wolfism on the weekend we ran in to one asked to take some photos and were anwsered "well your in now boys stay around here and i'll be back" when he reappeared he opened the winding house for us highlight of the days mine tour.
    Sweet!
    www.thetimechamber.co.uk - History:Photography:Music

This production does not contain any references to 'the bird'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sheep2405 View Post
    Its still a nice place to visit if you rock up they will take you in for a tour, they stress to you about methane levels, but you can sign a wavier and go down, there was a trip run last week from another forum.
    That would be a bit difficult seeing as the shaft was plugged with concrete back in march last year, they used to let you go down a few years back and took you right up to the face.

dont know it the unity or pergum do the same thing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast