Thanks

Arrow Barber Threads - Lisburn - Oct / Nov '09

Went to Barber Threads for my architecture project during October-November 2009. This was a few weeks after i got my first camera, so excuse the poor exposures in some shots. I have some more photographs, ill update the thread as much as i can.

Brief history:
    Hilden Mill aka Barber Threads, has a long and prestigious history in Lisburn. In 1784 John Barbour from Scotland, established a linen thread works in Lisburn. At the same time his son, William, bought a derelict bleach green at Hilden and set up business. Later, the thread works were transferred to Hilden and as early as 1817 it was employing 122 workers.

In 1823 William Barbour bought a former bleach mill at Hilden and built a water-powered twisting mill. The Linen Thread Company was founded 1898 and it quickly became a large international company. In fact it became the largest linen thread mill in the world, giving Lisburn a richly deserved international reputation.

Among the company's varied products were nets, which could be made into snares and fishing nets.

The company built a model village for its workforce in Hilden, which consisted of 350 houses, two schools, a community hall, children's playground and village sports ground. Lisburn became the envy of the world thanks to its Linen and Thread industry and now the last remnant of that history is to close its doors for the last time.

Information taken from (http://www.lisburn.com/History/memor...l-closure.html)

First attempt at a panoramic.

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Silence; 07-06-2010 at 03:43 AM.

Thanks

Default Re: Barber Threads - Lisburn - Oct / Nov '09

This was really good about a year ago, shame all the great explores in NI are getting converted.

Thanks

Yeah, Id love to take a few more trips down before its completely gone.
    Last edited by Silence; 07-06-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    Yeah, Id love to take a few more trips down before its completely gone.
    I take it you haven't been recently? It's nearly completely cleared. They've moved really quickly. We were there 2 weekends in a row early Feb time, the difference was noticeable.

Thanks

Oh. Last time i was there was around November 09. Ill just have to treasure the shots i got even more now!