Thanks

Arrow BP Building, Aberdeen

Hi, I'm new here (though I've lurked for a while). Ali (Alir147) has been suggesting I join this forum for ages, so I've finally done it. I'm at work with absolutely nothing to do, so I'm going to post a couple of reports.

Some friends and I made 3 visits to BP's North Sea Headquarters in Aberdeen about a month ago. A week before, we had been driving past when one of us (the non urbexing one) announces "Oh yeah, that building is empty". You can imagine our reaction. My friend Mole already wrote a report with his photos, which you can find here: http://www.urbexforums.co.uk/showthr...rters-Aberdeen

Out of the 3 visits made, I was fortunate enough to be the only one present for all 3. Don't want to overlap the images Mole took, so I'll be deliberately posting things he didn't (or at least different angles).

For those of you who don't know, this is what the building looks like from the outside at the back. Every building you can see in this photo is part of it.

We first made our way down a tunnel we'd scoped out the week before, where we had found an open door. We hadn't checked inside the door, but it turns out it's just a small basement. Still, it's quite a cool basement, lots of pipes and stuff.

After panicking slightly, because we were in the middle of a busy industrial estate, we went back outside, down the tunnel, and all the way around the building to the front, where we found another way in (this place was not remotely secure at the time). The first thing of interest we found was a small room containing 2 server stacks, still fully equipped.

While the ground floor was totally and utterly trashed (and I mean really seriously trashed), the upper floors were reasonably intact. This was the top floor I think.

While going down a corridor, I happened to open a cupboard door that looked just like any other, except that this one had a ladder going up through the roof and into darkness. We scaled the ladder and found this. This area is where the big red generator Mole posted in the other thread was located.

In the fourth building along, we found a rather cool cinema style setup. The floor plan we found had lots of comfy looking seats set out in front of it. Must have been nice.

The kitchen/dining area was very nice. Big open space, where tables and chairs used to be set out for the staff.

This room was located behind the kitchen.

Finally, we headed to the building labelled "Labs". Sadly, it turned out to be not nearly as interested as it sounded. Lots of nice wooden flooring and stuff, but otherwise completely empty.

On our way out we passed by what looked like a storage room.

And then we were gone.
    Last edited by Revelation_Space; 05-07-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Thanks

Default Re: BP Building, Aberdeen

A week later, we were back inside. Having spent about 7 or 8 hours in here the first time, I'd assumed we had covered most of it and seen all the interesting stuff, but I was way wrong.

See what I mean about the ground floor being wrecked?

This enormous server room was one of my favourite areas. I didn't count how many stacks there were, but it was a lot. The room was probably 100 feet long and 40 or 50 wide, and it was crammed full of them. Torches were invaluable in here, because the entire ground floor was completely pitch black.

Slightly creepy shower room.

Up on the roof, we discovered the ventilation area. This was a series of several huge rooms with lots of big fans and vents and all sorts of cool machinery.

Finally, I found a room full of keys. Thousands and thousands of them. This was only one small part of the room.

Unfortunately, in the two weeks since taking these photos, the building has been completely sealed. BP have gone nuts with the security, and every single ground floor door and window has been blocked off (regardless of the fact that most of them weren't broken or unlocked), every tunnel boarded up, even the car park entrance has had a big frame put around it to stop people driving in. As it stands, there's absolutely no way to get back in there without using a crowbar. We've had a good look around and can't find any way in. It's a major shame because this was by far the coolest empty building I've ever visited.

Thanks

Still gutted I missed out on seeing the "key" room and the ventilation parts, hopefully an entrance will appear again sometime. I see ive managed to sneak into one of the photos as well haha.

wolfism Guest

Nice one, and I'm sure it'll open up again eventually, these places always do.

Thanks

Yep nice one, any equipment left in the server rooms / data centre apart from cabling and patch panels?
    Under the radar, over the top

Thanks

I'm not really an expert on server equipment I'm afraid, so I don't know if any of it was more interesting than anything else.

There were one or two things which we only saw once.

Thanks

Fibre equipment, used for data (maybe voice) distribution round that massive building. SC style terminators which means that some of the runs were pretty big.

The silver thing is basically a media convertor and it looks like the whole thing was runing Windows 2000

Interesting stuff, thanks.
    Last edited by KingElvis; 05-07-2010 at 04:23 PM.
    Under the radar, over the top

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingElvis View Post
    it looks like the whole thing was runing Windows 2000
    Doesn't surprise me, we found a few terminals and they were all pretty ancient looking. Strange for such a massive company.

Thanks

Did you get any pictures of the front of the patch panels? I think they might be from the factory I used to work in.