Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Arrow ADM Milling Ltd (Spillers Mill) Newcastle upon Tyne – August 2010 REPORT

Visited with Kona

Have a report. It's inaccurate and confusing, but then, so was this place.

The building is split into two mills, one apparently for grain storage and a second for flour making. I’m guessing here, but there was lots of spilt grain in the first, and lots of flour in the second, so I’m going on evidence. The big white bit with the portholes and the ‘Byker Romeo’ graffiti is the grain storage bit.

Pics. As you would expect, there were hoppers. I suspect there’s more inside the bulk of this building as on each level there were rooms of machinery which obviously weren’t anywhere close to filling the sheer volume of the building, but we couldn’t find a way in to the rest. The top floor and the roof were definitely the best.

Once I’d recovered from the serious jelly legs brought on by the roof we had a look at the little bridge as a means of access to the second building, but it looks like it’s held together with woodworm, rust and layers of paint, so we passed on that for an alternative route.

The Flour Mill (for want of a better or more accurate name) is just something else. It’s like Wonka’s Chocolate Factory, but cheesier-smelling (a by product of the mouldering plies of grain everywhere). There are pipes, and hoppers, and chutes, and machines for grinding, and mixing, and... stuff. I have no idea what any of it is for. As far as I can tell, grain goes in the top floor (although goodness knows how, since I think it’s all in the other building), through a something which goes down a pipe, which connects to some other pipes in a random and interchangeable order (interchangeable by means of gaffer tape) which go into an grinding oojit, followed by a agitating thingummybob and eventually, at the bottom, out comes a small, fat mouse, which falls twenty feet into a huge silo. At some stage in the process, flour is produced.

Grain in:

Hopper tops:

Forest of pipes:

Grinders?

Oojits:

Wossnames:

Silo tops:

Inside the silos. It was quite a long way down:

‘Arty’ Shots

For dial fans:

There was some silliness in the basement, too.

Anyway, it was brilliant and wonderful and very, very woo. Go now.
    Flickr kindly host my images for me. My flickr page is here

Kona Guest

Default Re: ADM Milling Ltd (Spillers Mill) Newcastle upon Tyne – August 2010 REPORT

Rather than creating another thread for the same site I'll stick my pictures here if that's OK doozer?

First off, thanks to doozer for doing the homework on this site - it's greatly appreciated

On to the pics!

First up we have an exterior shot:

Interior pictures from the Flour Mill:

Interior pictures from the Silo building:

The tops of the silos:

Looking inside one of the silos (apologies for the blur, the access hole was tiny and I spent ~15mins attempting to get a good shot, this is the best I got):

One from the sketchy-as-owt top floor, the floor was rotten wood slats:

continued...

Kona Guest

Default Re: ADM Milling Ltd (Spillers Mill) Newcastle upon Tyne – August 2010 REPORT

And last but not least, a couple of shots from inside looking out, on the roof and light painting in the warehouse:

All pictures are available in a variety of sizes on my flickr set here

Kona
    Last edited by Kona; 01-08-2010 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks

Unfair. You obviously paid attention to the writey bits on the walls when I was off rubbing my knees in the direction of the agitatormebob.
    Last edited by doozer; 01-08-2010 at 10:17 PM. Reason: was it knees or thighs that Vic Reeves used to rub at Ulrikakaka? Meh, whatever, you get the idea.

judderman62 Guest

Oooooh like

cracking shots fellas

Thanks

loved doing this site, planing on going back soon.

wolfism Guest

Brilliant - and fancy such a huge building have a small, fat mouse as the end product.

Thanks

I should expect that when it was working, one of the mills statistically significant outputs was, in fact, small fat mice. Apparently ADM weren't too careful about the amount of spilt grain and the locals used to fetch up with carriers and take it home for the pigeons*... 'Spillers' Mill was quite apt!

*apologies for stereotypical Northern monkey-ness but that's actually from the very lips of one of the locals who I tapped for information on a previous visit.

@Wolfism - I think some bakeries have adopted my production method before. I may not have a multi-billion pound patent on my hands after all: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8092921.stm
    Last edited by doozer; 02-08-2010 at 09:48 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theoss View Post
    I might have to take a walk.
    Ooh! I forgot - I saw this and thought of you:

Apparently, Broad Bran is an ideal mixer for all horses and ponies!

Thanks

just some from my trip here the other day, the room of pipes is mad! lol

check out the website scrappynw.com
    flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast