Thanks

Default Cwm Coke, Wales, August 2010

The final day of my road trip was the reason for my entire holiday. Been wanting to see this place ever since I first saw photos of it. I got help with access info from Zippy, so thanks a lot for that!

It was chucking it down when we arrived, but after almost getting spotted within seconds of arriving (a guy walked out across a stretch of ground right in front of us, about 20 feet away, but luckily didn't turn our way), we made it inside. I loved the sounds of the building during the heavy rain. It was creaking and groaning and dripping, sounded fantastic. I need to start taking audio recording equipment with me on explores, because I often find that I like the noises of the buildings.

I wish the dividing wall at the end of this photo wasn't here. It's twice as long as this, but you can only ever see one half.

The crumbling building gives some fantastic colours and textures.

These helmets were really interesting. You can't see them problem because of the angles, but they're very elongated. I should have tried one on to see how they work. Looks like a visor comes down over the eyes with air filter or something built in.

Old medical records.

Thanks

Default Re: Cwm Coke, Wales, August 2010

A board for the old workers to write on when the place closed.

This huge machine on the roof of the main building was amazing. Wish I knew what it used to do. It was on rails so it could travel the length of the building.

The big conveyor off to the side of the site.

Forest growing on the roof.

Here, too, there wasn't nearly enough time to see the entire site. And to make matters worse, the sun came out just as we were leaving. We nearly got seen a few times by people driving around the site in vans, so be on the lookout for them if you're in there. They're good because you can hear them coming, but bad because you only get a couple of seconds to find some cover.

The land where men are men and sheep are dumb
    Thanks

Fantastic mate. Great shots of a huge place
    ON A JOURNEY OF DECAY

wolfism Guest

Looks like you made the most of your trip – I quite liked the changeable weather in the Valleys, offered a few different moods and means you really have to grab your shots when you get the chance. The machine on the roof of the ovens is called a larry car … I think I described it and what it did after I visited CWM. In addition to the vans, Mr Sec walks around with his hound but doesn't look up much, thankfully…

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfism View Post
    The machine on the roof of the ovens is called a larry car … I think I described it and what it did after I visited CWM. In addition to the vans, Mr Sec walks around with his hound but doesn't look up much, thankfully…

Ah, so you did, I somehow hadn't seen that one. It was very interesting, thanks for the info. Must have been an amazing place to see when it was in full swing. My dad was showing me a book he has all about Welsh train freight a few days ago, and Cwm was in that, with photos of the trains they used to have there.

I'd heard that a guy wanders around with a dog, but we didn't see him all day.