Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Auschwitz I & II Aug 2010

Went here last month again, as last time i had a disposable camera lol fail.

Didnt feel comfortable taking pictures inside the buildings, so outside shots will have to suffice.

Its safe to say that these are probablys the most depressing places ive ever been too,

These were also before my camera went retarded and i quite like dome of them, i shot them on manual too, which was a bit of a risk but was happy when they came out ok

So firstly,

Auschwitz I

Brought into action in 1939 for Polish Political Prisoners, soon after started taking every other race, religion, lifestyle, sexuality the Nazis wern't happy with.

This was where the famous sign was stolen from, this has now been retrieved.
    Its well worth a look, id like to go back once more in the winter without a guide, in the village there is also loads of derelict factories and offices from the war which look good

Dont know what i was thinking when i took this!

AUSCHWITZ II Birkenau

Not a lot remains apart from the chimneys and a few reconstructed wooden huts.

The remains of the crematoria can be seen in they state they were left after being blown up by the SS in 1945. This camp opened in 1943.

Thanks for looking...

Thanks

Default Re: Auschwitz I & II Aug 2010

Ill never go to Butlins again after seeing that! Youve got some good pictures of a place with a horrible history- the wonky angles can work well
    Saviour of the sporran

Thanks

Thought provoking!
    sqwasheress

Want to see my pics? ...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/freebird_ubx/

or check this out and add your name to the member list
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/urbex_uk/

Thanks

Yeah wonky angles were mainly to avoid unwanted people in the shot!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krypton View Post
    Went here last month again, as last time i had a disposable camera lol fail.

Didnt feel comfortable taking pictures inside the buildings, so outside shots will have to suffice
    Yeah, that's why the request is NOT to take pictures. (In numerous places) It ain't rocket science!
    Life's too short to suck a mushroom

Thanks

Actually, for your information, if i had wanted to take pictures i could have done. There was NO rule saying you couldnt. The guide told me that there was two places you couldnt take pictures. One was of the human hair and i cant remember the other. You could take pictures EVERYWHERE on site inside and out apart from the two spots i have mentioned. It aint rocket science!

Thanks

good stuff ive got a return trip planned here i took some shite pics last time i was here and will returning with proper stuff this time i got stopped last time for taking pics but cant remember where about i think one place was the building which housed the cells just big enough for a human to get into (the one where they was made to stand for hours)

Thanks

Without doubt a horrible place, but always good to see a report of this place because of the horror that took place here, and why it should never be forgotten.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krypton View Post
    Actually, for your information, if i had wanted to take pictures i could have done. There was NO rule saying you couldnt. The guide told me that there was two places you couldnt take pictures. One was of the human hair and i cant remember the other. You could take pictures EVERYWHERE on site inside and out apart from the two spots i have mentioned. It aint rocket science!
    It's called respect and that IS rocket science (clearly)
    Life's too short to suck a mushroom

Thanks

Sorry but i dont see how it is respect at all. Georgie is right the other place was the solitary confinement cells in block 13 (i think).

I think its important that these places are documented so others that cant go can see. If your going to be like that then you may as well say that there should be no photos outside, because plenty were murdered outside of the buildings as well as inside.

It was up to me if i wanted to take pictures, i didnt have the balls and deemed it inapropriate.

If it had been down to respect, they would have told us clear, as clearly the museum curators know about respect and what they deem appropriate for the museum and for the view of the general public.

My personal opinion, but i dont see how taking pictures inside a building is deemed unrespectful (and yes i know the history).

Plenty of people died in Asylums.
    People take photos in cemetarys etc...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast