Thanks

Arrow The Furness Railway (Wetherspoons), Barrow, Cumbria, August 2012

Getting High in Barrow

I've been keeping my eye out for a decent scaff to get some shots over Barrow for a while now, so, when i saw this being erected last week i knew what i was doing with my bank holiday weekend

Originally had some draining planned with a couple of guys off here but that would have meant certain death after the amount of rain it put down over the weekend.. When it rains, dont go in drains (wait till it stops and climb scaffs instead!)

Info

Opened as a Wetherspoons in July 1998, the Wetherspoons website has an abridged history-

This Wetherspoon pub was previously a department store owned by the Barrow Co-operative Society. The original 'Co-op' premises on this site were built in 1889, on land bought from the Furness Railway (for £2,500).

Situated at the corner of Dalton Road and High Street, this pub has been occupied by the Co-op since 1889. The shop then contained a drapery, boot and shoe department, offices and stables. A clothing section and a bakery were added soon after. The shop was extended in 1902, and in more recent years was converted into an open-plan department store.
    Whilst looking into the buildings history i found an original copy (1889) of the Coop rule book that had somehow made it into a library in Wisconsin :confused It doesn't make for particuarly interesting reading but is worth a look.. Here

Pictures

Towards the Gas Terminal

Salvation Army building

Emlyn Hughes House

The Nan Tait Centre and Devonshire Dock Hall

Some Rooftop Shots

With a bit of climbing i was able to get onto the roof of next building for some more shots..

And Finally...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SAt For This Useful Post:

luverlyjuberly (17-01-2013)