Queen Street Mill was built in 1894 by the Queen Street Manufacturing Company.
The Mill made cloth which was made into shirts or sheets.
It closed in 1982.

This place was absalutley amazing and I would highly recommend it to anyone in the area.
We were the only ones there and you are free to walk about with no one telling you "get back HEALTH & SAFETY" shite

Also I was pretty clueless before about the machines and what did what.. I've been into a few abandoned textile mills and you see stuff lying about but not knowing what its for! Ace.

OK photos.....
First off is the Weaving Shed.
There are over 300 Lancashire Looms. These Looms were made in Burnley and date back to the 1890's.

In a shed this size, there would be about 65 to 80 weavers with 3 mechanics.
Each weaver would work 6 - 8 Looms depending on experience. Weavers were paid on "piece rate" - the amount of cloth they wove in a week..
The man put them on and the noise was something else!

The Peace Engine.
Peace provided energy to power the looms. At its peak, the engine would have provided enough energy to drive 1138 looms in the weaving shed, as well as other machinery around the mill.

In Broadford works, you see heaps of these lying about...
Didn't really think as to what they were used for, was more interested in taking pictures of other things.

Weird pencil things

Next it was off to Helmshore Mill, about 20 minute drive away.
We were free to wander about in the spinning rooms and again Peter & I were the only ones there where a cute old grandad gave us a demonstration of the machines..

Both Mills featured in the BBC drama North & South in 2004!